NINETEEN

“Aishh….those people, really….” Ji Ah utters as she takes out some food wrappers under a table. “They knew that Hyun is the only room cleaner present today yet they dare leave their mess here? Is it hard for them to throw this to the trash bin? It’s their mess to begin with!” she blabbers.

Yonghwa and Seo Hyun are still under probation for cutting classes.

            “Maybe they just forgot about it.” Seo Hyun tells her.

            “They should have been considerate enough to do that at least. That way, your chore will be easier.” Ji Ah replies.

Seo Hyun continues to sweep the floor.

            “It’s not that hard. Also, you two are helping me out…”

            “Of course we should! We feel sorry knowing that you have to do all of these by yourself.”

            “I wonder what happened to Yonghwa sshi.” From wiping the blackboard, Yumi looks at them. “He had never been absent before….he’s probably really sick.” She adds.

            “Are you sure he didn’t tell you anything?” Ji Ah asks Seo Hyun.

            “Hm.” She simply responds.

            “When you return home, pay him a visit. Seeing the woman he loves beside him, Yonghwa sshi will definitely regain his health!” Ji Ah says.

_________________________________________________________________

After cleaning, the girls prepare to go home.Seo Hyun pays the classroom one last glance. Tomorrow is that day so now is her last day here at school. As they walk, Seo Hyun takes a mental picture of everything they’re passing by. The empty corridor that is often full of students…..the dressing room the girls use when they have to change into gym clothes….the gym where they do P. E. class with Mr. Kim Jongkook…..the library….the cafeteria where she eats with everyone.

They walk by the school ground. Seo Hyun remembers the time where they played dodge ball and Yonghwa and she were the only ones left from their team. She has also seen the spot where the two of them watched the evening program and fireworks on the day of school festival. She secretly smiles….she made a lot of memories here. In the span of three weeks, she had a wonderful time attending school and enjoyed being a student again. Here, she earned experiences she never had during her time. Though three weeks is short, she’s still thankful….in her heart, she consider it as her real school life than her former one.

All of a sudden, the familiar pain strikes again. It made her slow down from walking.

            Please….not here. Her mind begs. It feels like she will pass out any moment now. Hang on a bit longer….Hold it back and don’t let them know—she keeps repeating in her head. She knows exactly what’s happening to her.

            “Time is shredding. The condition of your body is returning to its original state.” Yeong Won says.

She now understands that this is not indigestion only. Her body is returning bit by bit to its real form therefore her illness returns too.

            “The inner body returns first before the outer body. Your appearance will be the last one to change.” Ne adds.

Due to the pain, Seo Hyun couldn’t bring herself to say anything but just listen. With her half closed eyes, she stares at nem.