FOURTEEN

It’s time for P.E. and students starts moving to change into their tracksuits.

            “Hyunie, let’s go.” Ji Ah says.

            “Go ahead…I would just organize my things first.” Seo Hyun replies while putting her pen back inside the pen pouch.

            “Hurry up…you know Coach Kook doesn’t want starting the class late.” Yumi reminds her about their P.E teacher Kim Jong Kook who’s very enthusiastic about teaching the said subject. He’s getting excited with anything that has something to do with fitness and likes to coach a lot thus earning the nickname ‘Coach Kook’ from the students.

            “Yes, I’d be there in a moment.”

Ji Ah and Yumi rushes to the locker room to change clothes. Seo Hyun clears her desk by putting her notebook back inside her bag. Then she neatly lays the books inside the desk shelf. The room becomes quiet as everybody left.

What Seo Hyun didn’t know is that she’s not the only one left in the room. A few seats behind her is Yonghwa who’s still not moving from his seat. It is the first time that the two of them are left alone inside the classroom so he silently watches her from there. Seo Hyun is still not getting up even after tidying her desk. She left out a deep sigh and he knows why.

            “P.E. must be a torture for you…” Yonghwa says getting her attention.

            “Yong……” Seo Hyun just realized his presence.

Seo Hyun’s predicament regarding that subject isn’t new to Yonghwa. She’s quite clumsy and not comfortable with sports. It’s very obvious that Seo Hyun and P.E. are not a good combination.

Yonghwa got up and Seo Hyun follows him with her stares. He walks towards the desk on her side and leans his back against it. He faces her with both his hands inside his pockets.

            “I guess P.E is quite tougher here…” he says.

            “No.” she replies. “Girls there knew that I won’t be of any help so nobody wanted me in their teams. I often end up watching them from the courtside.” She says. Despite being in an all-girl school back then, Seo Hyun wasn’t able to make any friends due to her poor social skills. Nobody wants to be her partner or get her in their teams so she used to do the activities alone. When her parents found out about this, her mother went to talk with the school administrator and after that, the teacher just let her watch from the side without requiring her to participate which gives her a huge relief that time.

Yonghwa grins. He can imagine the scenario she just said.

            “Today’s high jump.” He says mentioning the physical activity waiting for them in the school gym.

            “And vaulting box…….definitely my favorite.” She adds with sarcasm. She sighs turning Yonghwa’s grin into an amused chuckle.

            “Alright, come with me.” He says and grabs her hand.

They exit the room.

_________________________________________________________________

            “Aren’t we supposed to change into P.E uniforms?” Seo Hyun asks as they reach the school backyard. She wonders why Yonghwa leads her here.