Chapter One: Coating Anger with Kindness

School was always a major thing in a teenagers life, we do nothing but go to class during the day and then go home. Many hate school, the classes, the test, even the idea of growing up shakes their bones; it didn't quite matter to me, either way I was going to frown up and I couldn't stop time even when I wanted to. High school specifically was the starting battle of our life, this is where one start to find themselves and friends.

I walk the halls of the small high school, barely held thirty classrooms. Surprisingly no one knew each other, only by gossip if you were unlucky enough to be apart of that mess. I tired to keep myself from being the talk of the week, I keep to myself and stay away from the athletes (unless it's Courtney). I never done anything out of the ordinary to gain anyone's attention- although, being apart of that ten percent minority, everything I do is under the radar. I never understood why my aunt wants to protect this racist town in the first place.

The navy blue lockers burned my eyes and twisted my fingers as I tried to put in my combination, the rust and mildew formed into glue during the years of none maintenance. I wanted to scream and bang the locked with the nearby fire extinguisher, but I took a deep breath and rubbed my forehead.

"Having troubles?" The dark mass came upon me like a cloud, a chill went down my spine as his deep voice made me melt. Gabriel had a way in sneaking up on people, especially people who can be scared easily. He leaned on the lockers beside me, just like any boy in the school when it came to show their confidence and pride, he dressed normally- not the punk rock gangster kid from last night- just a t-shirt and dark jeans. His father must of forced him to dress like a regular guy. It reminded me of when we first met.

It was sophomore year, him and his father (the new sheriff) had just moved in to the house down the street from us. It was the annual town fair when Aunt Joyce and Mr. Watson introduced us, I can say I had a crush on him immediately but that wouldn't be true. I did not like Gabriel on first site, he looked like an ignorant cocky bastard; but after a week or so when we were forced to be in each other presence, I've became a school girl. However I did not speak of my feelings once, I'm too scared to even talk about relationships with him.

"Yeah," I said while trying the combination again, but like always it would open. "I think I need your power slap."

Gabriel smirked while tugging on the one trap computer bag that made his look more of a computer nerd than punk rock guy. "If I knew I were fixing something, o should of brought my tools." He balled up his fist and slammed the locker to the point where it open automatically. "There."

"Thank you." I sent him a small smile, more than I ever gave someone other than Yolanda and Aunt Joyce.

Gabriel cheeks turned red as his lips twitched into a smile as well. Running his fingers through his sandy hair, turning it into a bigger mess than it was; a true computer nerd that did an all nighter on Minecraft- which he probably did. "What are you doing tonight? It's this concert out in Addison's Park, I can take my father's truck and camp out."

"Is it a concert or camping trip?" I chuckled while switching out my books.

Gabriel shrugged his shoulders, "Whatever you want to make it."

"I would be flattered, but you know my aunt, Gabriel. Besides, I wouldn't be able to stay out too late." What was I saying? He was basically asking me out on a date and I'm shutting him down. "How about you come over before the concert, we can watch a movie and study."

He wasn't pleased with the idea, being that we wouldn't be alone. Today was Monday, study day. Yolanda would come over to eat up all my food and aunt Joyce would come home early as well. "I'll stop by."