Chapter Twenty-Four: Hard Truth

I couldn't breath... the small room was hot and bright, the two agents were hovering over me as if I've killed all those girls... if I weren't the victim. That's the thing, after killing one of the two men that killed those girls, my friends, and lead the other one to his own death; they were having a hard time thinking of it as self-defense. A small girl like myself took down two grown men, it was a remarkable story that would be all over the news in less than a minute.

"Did you follow Sheriff Watson? Did you expect something?" I've forgotten there names, but at the meantime I just called them Bad cop and meaner cop. Bad cop was more understanding, a poor girl that was taken away underground, almost raped and killed by her boyfriend's father. However, Meaner cop thought it was bullshit, he still couldn't wrap his head around the whole thing; a loved Sheriff that killed dozens of girls in the past twenty years while caring for a child as well. Believe it or not, the world was sick in so many ways.

I knew what the meaner cop was getting at, he suspected me having an affair with Gabriel's father or fantasizing the most disgusting hung a girl in my position could do. Even if Gabriel and I weren't dating, if he were just a man I didn't see as my own father; I would never even touch him other than giving him a hand shake or half ass hug. "Like I said, he tied me up and dumped me into his trunk." I repeated for the fifth time that night.

Bad cop sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of his nose, "You're going for self-defense. Do you know what that'll do to your aunt? She shot the man when he didn't have a weapon and when his back was turned."

Right, Aunt Joyce would get the hammer for this, she could serve time and/or she'll lose her job. Whatever you do, Zaire- tell the truth and promise you'll go for self-defense, don't worry about me.... Aunt Joyce said that to me multiple times before the first unit of cops came. I swallowed that thick lump and stared at them head on, "Yes, I'm going for self-defense because that's the truth."

I was finally released from the lion den with a sore hand from writing my statement practically the third time that night. The station was depressing with a unwavering sense of anger and betrayal, when I stepped into the area, it seem to have become dead silent as if the world around froze in space. Maybe it was in my head or the fact that I wasn't breathing at all because of the main person I do not want to see that night was on the bench staring into space.

Gabriel spotted me immediately, his light eyes turned dark and glossy. He stood to his feet, wrapped his arms around my fragile body and pulled me in. "I'm so sorry, Zaire. I didn't know." He whimpered into my shoulder.

I bit the bottom of my lip to keep in the tears, I wanted to say I was okay- that this situation would get better but it's not. "I'm sorry, Gabriel." I said instead. He lost both of his parents, of course not know that his mother was a killer as well; but finding out that one of them was a murderer was enough to break a person.

Gabriel pulled away and wiped his tears, "Fuck,"

"Zaire," Aunt Joyce walked from behind her desk, cold stares on her back along the way. "Go home, I'll be there soon."

"But..."

"Go," She ordered. "The news reporters may be here soon and I don't want you walking out to that. Gabriel..." Aunt Joyce finally looked up at the young man, swallowed the lump of tears and let go of a shaky breath. "Can you take her home?" The question was a stretch, even after everything.

Gabriel nod his head yes, "Of course."

"Stay at the the house until further notice, don't talk to anyone." Aunt Joyce caressed Gabriel and I cheek before pulling us into a hug. She was guilty for everything, even if it were to protect me and every defenseless girls.