05

Eloise snapped her book shut and dropped it onto Ollivander's desk with a loud thud

Eloise snapped her book shut and dropped it onto Ollivander's desk with a loud thud. She spun around in the swivel chair and looked around at the cluttered room. It seemed that in that past month and a half she'd had absolutely no time to tidy things, and when she did, no motivation to do so. She'd barely managed to keep the shop looking presentable, let alone the study and her own living space. She cringed when she thought about the dust that had collected and the dishes stacked up in the kitchen sink upstairs.

Deciding to tackle that issue on another day, she decided to take her free afternoon when the shop was closed to try and work out the dragon heartstring issue. Eloise had been hunting for another supplier for weeks now, since the previous had decided that they didn't want their name tarnished by supplying an inexperienced wandmaker like herself. She tried not to let it bother her, but things had indeed been much simpler with her mentor around.

She had resigned to sending out letters to the few wandmakers that she associated with in America, as most of the Europeans were outright ignoring her letters and requests for assistance in this trying time following the war.

Deciding that she needed to get out and about if she was indeed going to get anything accomplished in the day, Eloise found herself collecting her writing supplies and shoving them in her bag to head down to Florean Fortescue's, which had reopened around the same time that she had. A sugary treat would surely make her feel a little bit better about the begging and grovelling she was about to do.

She took a side street to avoid the Sunday crowds, making sure to pay attention so as not to run into anyone else like she had done a week or so ago.

When she reached the shiny pink shop, she was treated to a blast of cool air as she entered the ice cream parlor. The smell of sweet dessert was enough to bring a smile to her face, and she smiled as she greeting the cashier, who she had come to recognize as she came in so often.

"Two scoops of earl grey and lavender in a cup, please," she ordered, handing over a few sickles as she did so.

She watched as the girl scooped her ice cream and handed it over, feeling her mood lighten at being away from the shop and having an afternoon to try and catch up.

She sat down at a table by the window and pulled out her parchment, quill, and ink, spreading them out on the table and pondering just what would make the Americans pity her enough to let slip the secret of where they buy their wand core. As she mentally drafted her letter, she glanced out the window into Diagon Alley, watching the passerby as they go about their business. She grinned when she saw Weasley's Wizard Wheezes directly across the way, but dropped the smile when she saw two redheaded men conversing on the steps of the street. There stood Charlie, conversing what must be his older brother, as Eloise didn't recognize the rugged looking man.

Despite having letters to write and melting ice cream to eat, Eloise couldn't help but observe the charming man that regularly tries to chat with her upon their chance meetings.