10

The bright sunlight streaming through the curtains the next morning was what woke her up

The bright sunlight streaming through the curtains the next morning was what woke her up. It took her a second to realize where she was, and when she remembered, she was still confused. She was curled up under a heavy comforter in a plainly decorated bedroom, and she assumed it must be Charlie's, even though he hadn't showed it to her the night before.

The second thing she realized was that the scent of bacon cooking was pouring into the room, and her stomach was growling loudly. She climbed out of the cozy bed, noting that she was still in her jeans and sweater from the day before. Finding her duffel bag at the foot of the bed, she grabbed a change of clothes, quickly putting them on, and charmed her teeth clean before heading out to the kitchen.

Charlie stood in the kitchen at the stove, strong arms folded as he watched the pan in front of him, deep in thought. Eloise was struck again by the realization that her new friend was truly a gorgeous specimen, and the thought caused a deep blush to rise to her cheek.

It was when she took a step into the kitchen area that a wooden floorboard creaked, alerting him of her presence and causing him to jump slightly, which made her laugh.

"Hey," she whispered.

"You scared me," he defended.

"Didn't mean to," she grinned, leaning against the counter next to the stove. "You didn't sleep on the couch, did you?" she asked incredulously.

"Mmhm," he mumbled in affirmation, flipping the bacon.

"Charlie, you could've slept in your own bed," she chuckled.

He picked the bacon up and put a couple of pieces on each plate he had laid out, along with a few slices of toast. "It's not a problem, Ellie. Eat your breakfast."

"Ellie?" she questioned, taking her plate from him and following him over to the dining table.

"Eloise," he corrected himself, shaking his head and looking bashful. She instantly chastised herself for speaking up. No one had ever given her a nickname, really.

Saying nothing, she paused to watch the man as he ate a slice of toast. For once Charlie was the one who appeared uncomfortable.

"Ellie is fine, if you like," she said quietly as she took a bite of the bacon he had prepared.

He grinned widely at her, nodding before changing the subject over to the dragons that he wanted to visit that day.

"So we can go visit Norberta right after we meet with Paul. And I'd definitely like to check in on Pascal and Tira. I'm kinda wondering if any of them will remember me..." he trailed off, looking worried, as if the prospect of the dragons forgetting him had ruined his morning.

"Oh, I'm sure they will. Weren't you the one who nursed Pascal back to health after he was rescued from the poachers?" she inquired, grinning at how the memory brought a smile to his face.