gone. reaper.

pairing: gabriel reyes x reader
genre: angst
warnings: mentions of death

they were gone.

jack morrison and gabriel reyes were gone. the two had left for the overwatch headquarters in switzerland, and they never returned. you waited for hours on overwatch's helicopter landing pad, only for the pilot to come back empty-handed, without jack or gabriel.

you were close with the both of them, and you'd met them when you first joined overwatch during the omnic crisis. they both cared for the entirety of overwatch with all of their heart and soul.

and one day they were just gone. without a trace of where they went. it was only a few days later when it was announced that the both of them were dead. you bawled for hours on end, and you turned to your other remaining members, only for them to disappear as well.

ana, reinhardt, torbjörn, liao, everyone was gone.

you were alone yet again. the memories of your childhood breaking through the floodgates of your mind and overtaking your thoughts. the memories of your dead parents and friends. when your hometown was attacked, you were the only one who survived at eight years old.

you were younger than both jack and gabriel by only a few years, and they both cared for you with their whole heart.

though, it was not to be.

now, you were in your early fifties. it had been almost twenty years since you saw the faces of any of your previous allies. the apartment you had lived in for the past ten years was cold and musty, with cobwebs and dirt aligning the cabinets and shelves. you had no heating or air conditioner, so you depended on the weather of the day.

the coffee on you shelves were expired. they had been for days. you were beginning to starve, though you had no money and you weren't permitted to go outside anyway. the faces of the overwatch members were engraved in stone. they would always be the heroes.

never would you think you would be a criminal in the minds of the government, but here you were. in hiding and starving. you had to risk it. even if you had no reason to live anymore, there was always a feeling that perhaps gabriel and jack were alive.

you threw a coat on, making sure the hood covered your head. you locked the door, and continued down the steps and outside into the moonlight. it had been weeks since you last went outside, your skin was pale and lifeless. you were unmotivated and seemingly depressed. you wanted to find a reason to keep going. you had a good feeling about this.

you walked down the cracked sidewalk, passersby on the street giving you weird looks as you continued without making any sort of contact with them. the sound of your feet and owls hooting in the distance was the only sounds you could hear.

a crack of a fallen branch makes you stop in your tracks. you took a deep breath to ease your anxiety, yet continued on your way. the sound of faint breathing fills your ears. the breathing is raspy and uneven as if their face was covered by a mask or something of the sort. you were sure you were being followed. you stopped and turned your back against a nearby pole.

you closed your eyes, taking another breath, only to open them to be faced with a pair of twin shotguns directly in front of your face. you were correct, they wore a mask that had inspiration from a skull. though you didn't admit it, you were scared.

"what do you want?" your voice came out as a mere squeak, raspy and sore. the person in front of you chuckled slightly, "isn't this a wonderful way to meet again... y/n."

your eyes widened. the guns the man had were lowered next to his sides as the eyes you couldn't see from behind the mask pierced through you. "how do you know my name..." you asked, it was more out of fear, and he knew now that you were afraid.

"you know me as 'gabriel reyes'," the man paused, before continuing again for dramatic effect. "though, i'm not the same as i was twenty years ago. i was naive and foolish."

"no. gabriel's dead." your voice was stronger but shakier.

"gabriel's dead, though he's been reborn as a higher being. i am reaper."

his voice was uncanny with gabriel's and just hearing it made memories flash back into your mind. people with the same kind of voice did the same to you, like one man you met only a few years after the announcement of jack and gabriel's deaths.

"i want you to join talon." he spoke, his voice confident. talon? you heard of talon. a terrorist group. they were always rivals of overwatch. you don't know why, but you continued to question the man

"gabriel wouldn't betray overwatch like that."

"i told you. i'm not gabriel. i'm now known as reaper." his voice was getting less confident, afraid you wouldn't join him.

in truth, he missed you. he could care less about the other members, he only wanted to see you again. when he presented his idea to the leader of talon, to have you join them, they jumped on the offer. they just sent gabriel for a higher chance of you saying yes.

"what would i get out of it?"

"the same friendship we had in overwatch."

"alright. i'll join talon."

this was not how you thought of making amends with yourself. you just hoped it would work.

words: 932

a/n; kindof a drabble, kindof a full story. i don't know what this is. there may be multiple ends to this story as well, so look out for those if they ever come along.