soulmates. genji.

pairing: genji x fem!reader
genre: fluff!! soulmate au!
warnings: just talk about death

from when he was younger, the name written in english on his left wrist always shocked him. genji's older brother, hanzo, had a name written in english on his right middle finger, a name he couldn't read until he was eight. hanzo refused to read genji's name for him, saying his soulmate sounded much prettier than his did. genji immediately smacked his arm, telling him his soulmate was probably beautiful.

the name on genji's wrist was 'y/n l/n,' a name he couldn't read until he was twelve. he always imagined his soulmate as a beautiful princess, though he would be happy even if he would always be happy if he ended up with the name of a boy on his wrist, though he could tell by your name that you were a girl.

his heart went weak every time he thought of you and how beautiful you would be. imagining holding your hand, and kissing your nose every time he saw you gave him butterflies in his stomach.

even though he had yet to meet you, he knew you would be the epitome of perfection to him.

after the incident with his older brother that happened years ago, he lost his human left wrist, along with most of his human body despite parts of his torso and legs, though, he didn't need it there to remember your name. he remembered everything about it, how neatly it was written, and how you wrote a heart after your name, shaded in, contrasting against genji's tanned skin.

he remembered everything.

though the life mercy had blessed him with he didn't want in the first place, he decided to stay as positive as he could be in hopes of meeting you someday.

though, genji's name was written on your right wrist. you were confused on what it said until you met someone who could speak japanese. hana song, a nineteen-year-old professional gamer from korea. she said she knew someone named genji, and she hadn't said anything else, but the look on her face had been one of happiness, excitement. you didn't understand why she looked so happy, unless she actually knew who your soulmate was.

what that something was, she didn't say. though, you were sure the person she knew named genji couldn't have been the same one your soulmate was. it just wasn't possible.

in genji's time of being in overwatch, and after the incident in venice, he felt like he had no where else to go. he was constantly mad at himself, and at everyone else due to reasons he didn't understand. so, on behalf of the wellbeing of the people around him, he decided to leave overwatch after the battle at the swiss headquarters happened.

after gabriel and jack died, overwatch had been quiet. jesse mccree, a gunslinger who had left a gang of.. well.. fellow gunslingers, left overwatch only days after they passed away. blackwatch had been revealed to the world after the venice incident, making jack incredibly mad at gabriel for killing their target, as well as revealing something that wasn't quite ready to be revealed. jack's furiousness led him to start a fight with gabriel. at first, it was only a fist fight, which genji wasn't too good with himself, though he had seen in movies made back in the 2000 type days, which had been so long ago the pictures weren't even able to pop out of the screen like they could now.

eventually, the fight led to something more durasic, and in the end, taking the lives of jack and gabriel, leaving no pieces of the swiss headquarters behind. jesse decided to leave for personal reasons, though genji knew better, as to why he left, he figured it would be because he was so shaken. he always had rough patches with gabriel (genji decided to call him 'gabe' every now and then, just to get on his nerves), he would always look up to him and treat him like a father figure. now that he was gone, jesse had no one. he thought he had probably went back to route 66, which wasn't too big of a problem, the only hope was he didn't join the deadlock gang again.