softie. maximilien.

pairing: maximilien x reader
genre: something?
warnings: none

his day was long. long wasn't even a good enough word to describe how bad maximilien's day went. as seemingly cruel as he was, he couldn't do the one thing he was assigned to do, keep an eye on you.

you had been an overwatch agent, stolen by reaper from watchpoint gibraltar the week before. the ninja, genji, tried to stop him, but it was too late.

he had been put in charge of you by doomfist, who had been busy with other plans with the other inner council members. the truth was, he seemed to like you, at least a little bit. he never once hurt you in any way. of course, he did insult you but you were never really afraid of him anyways.

you made some jokes with him, and he chuckled (which he tried his best to hide, yet failed. you never told him you knew this though).

he was now your friend, but for the sake of his job he had to treat you as only a hostage. he tried in the beginning to be a ruthless member of talon but once he saw the look in your e/c eyes he knew he couldn't force himself to be someone he knew he wasn't.

so, he let you go.

he let you go back to overwatch and he was now facing doomfist and the other members of the inner council, in risk of being killed by talon for failing his only job.

reaper always knew it was a bad decision to put maximilien in charge of the agent. he knew how much of a softie he was for innocent people with puppy dog eyes. though he never admitted it to himself, he always thought he was better than that. someone worthy of being a member of talon.

moira never really cared about the agent anyway and had never gotten herself involved in maximilien's business with them. her mind was only on what information they had and were willing to give to talon without having to threaten to take her life. she wouldn't be the one to do that though, that would be akande.

doomfist, on the other hand, was furious. no matter how good of a friend maximilien was to him he had one job to do and he somehow failed it. the plenty of other missions he had assigned him to do he had done flawlessly, without a care in the world about who he hurt or who died in the process, but with you? he let you go? how uncharacteristic it was for even a softie like him. he should've known better than to trust him with a hostage as it was his first time. he should've let someone actually intimidating handle you, like reaper.

"you know... i had a little bit of faith in you." akande spoke from the end of the inner council member table, sitting at the head of it with moira at his left and reaper at his right, both looking relatively angry.

"faith? i knew better than to trust a softie like him." reaper spoke, his tone filled with rage as sanjay korpal seemed to tremble in his seat next to him. "i suggest you shut your mouth." akande's tone was firm, and demanding, as if he didn't shut up he'd punch him as hard as he did the wall in the prison he escaped from. "this is my talk."

reaper nodded and shut his mouth, moira chuckling softly in her seat from across him. "if i may..." akande gave her a small glare, but let her continue, "it seems he's gone soft for them." she smirked at maximilien, and at the thought of you he shook his head.

"that was exactly my point..." akande rolled his eyes, "he's gone soft. for a little overwatch agent. who knew the mighty maximilien could be taken down just by a look in the eyes from this person."