Chapter 4

Song: Freak by Lana Del Ray

Sitting with Vlad was far from comfortable for Rachel. She kept her distance, wary of Vlad's subtle attempts to close the gap between them. He offered her drinks, which she declined, not willing to be duped again.

Rachel observed with an eye roll as Vlad became visibly captivated by Estella, who was now dancing provocatively, her attention fixed on Vlad with unmistakable desire. Despite feeling impatient with this distraction, Rachel reminded herself of the importance of staying put to unravel the mystery surrounding them.

After a while, a man approached Rachel. She couldn't help but notice his eyes first—those incredible blue eyes. He wasn't as bulky as Vlad, but his sharp looks and charming smile were hard to ignore. He radiated a sense of trust and approachability, but she had to remember she was in dangerous waters. After all, Vlad had fangs.

"So, you must be the young lady who has chained herself to my friend."

Feeling her face warm, she blushed. "And you are?"

"Darius," he introduced himself with a charming smile, taking a seat beside her. He started to reach for her hand but stopped himself, opting for a chuckle instead. "Curious, isn't it? You've somehow tied yourself to him, yet he hasn't managed to charm you."

"He hasn't even tried," she replied, glaring at Vlad. It was then she realised the situation she was in, sandwiched between two imposing figures. She quickly shifted her attention back to Darius. "Can you tell me what I am? What this connection means?"

Darius nodded, "Every creature knows of the bond. You're the first I've seen use it in such a unique manner, yet also the first to establish it without his consent. I don't know what you are, but there's a way we could find out."

Rachel was taken aback. "How can you say I did this without his consent? He's the one who drugged me and cornered me."

Darius glanced at Vlad, waiting for him to weigh in.

"She is over-embellishing."

Darius raised an eyebrow. "The bond, it is between two creatures and is an act of love. It usually takes the consent of both creatures, and its effect varies from creature to creature. For instance, I have recently come to learn that a land creature and creature of flight bonded, and now the land creature can fly."

"F-fly?" She couldn't believe it. The idea of flying creatures existing outside of fantasy was baffling.

Darius looked at Vlad, "I think she's genuine. She really doesn't know."

Vlad folded his arms, his eyes locked on her. "That complicates things. I'm bonded to someone who's clueless about our existence and can't defend herself. This is the last thing I need with these government officials snooping around."

Hearing his frustration was tough. He seemed annoyed, yet if he aimed to resolve this, cooperation was essential. Unaware of how this bond formed, she was nonetheless aware of their connected energies.