Chapter 20

Song: Wicked Games by Raign

On the bed, a stunning fit-and-flare dress caught Rachel's eye, with its elegant beige lace bodice blending into a flowing black pleated skirt. Next to it lay a bottle of perfume, inviting her to try it. A vase on the bedside table, filled with blue hyacinths, white roses, and lilies of the valley, added a sophisticated charm. She took a moment to relish the scent of the flowers before trying on the perfume, touched by the thoughtfulness of the arrangements.

The anticipation of reuniting with Beth and Adam brought her immense happiness. Yet, amidst this joy, she had a slight apprehension about how Beth would react to the changes in her life.

At the sound of a knock on her bedroom door, Rachel sprang to her feet.

"Are you set? They've arrived!" Estella's voice, bursting with excitement, filtered through the door.

"Shit," Rachel quietly cursed.

"What's the hold-up? Quick, get changed. We're all in the dining room, waiting on you." The echo of Estella's footsteps retreated down the hall, pushing Rachel to hasten her preparations.

The prospect of seeing Beth brought a spontaneous smile to Rachel's lips. She dressed in record time, opting to go without shoes. After a quick adjustment of her hair, she made her way to the dining room.

Beth's reaction upon seeing Rachel was immediate—her eyes widened in surprise before a joyful grin took over her face. She closed the distance, wrapping Rachel in a warm hug. "I am so glad to see you!" she exclaimed. Pulling back, Beth eyed Rachel's blonde curls with a teasing gleam. "You bleached your hair! I remember you swore you'd never."

Rachel returned the tease with a sheepish grin, a twinge of guilt accompanying her decision to bend the truth. "Estella assured me she had plenty of experience with bleaching hair and promised not to damage it. It turned out quite well, don't you think?"

Beth, still smiling, took Rachel's hand, guiding her to sit down at the dining table. Beth positioned herself next to Rachel, across from Estella and Adam. At Rachel's other side, a seat was reserved for Vlad, his place at the table conspicuously vacant.

"It looks great on you," Beth complimented, her eyes bright with happiness. "I'm thrilled about this dinner. I've been looking forward to you meeting Adam properly. Glad to see you and Vlad made up."

Rachel glanced around, asking, "Where's Vlad?"

Estella's voice floated towards the kitchen, "Vlad, dear, do you need any help in there?"

Vlad appeared from the kitchen's direction; his hands occupied with two serving dishes. "No worries, I've got everything under control," he assured them, setting the dishes down in the middle of the table with a practiced ease.

"You don't hire someone to do this for you?" Beth asked.

"Beth!" Rachel scolded, embarrassed by her friend's remark.