Chapter 24

Song: Out of the Woods by Taylor Swift

Vlad led the way to the room containing the journals. As they descended the stairs, Rachel heard the familiar noises again, echoing from behind the wall. This time, the sounds formed her name, as if a demon was whispering directly to her. She bit her lip, tempted to speak out, but since neither Vlad nor Estella reacted, she wondered if she imagined the voices.

Following closely, Estella and Rachel stopped short as Vlad threw open the door and strode into the vast library. Rachel looked to Violet's portrait hanging above the mantel. To her astonishment, something about the portrait had changed.

"Vlad," Rachel said, her voice tinged with disbelief, "has Violet's portrait always looked like this? I could have sworn her dress was white with flowers, but now it's black, straight from the 1920s."

Vlad and Estella turned, their expressions equally puzzled. "You're right, Rachel," Vlad admitted. "Her dress has indeed changed. How that's possible, I don't know."

Estella approached the portrait, studying it. "I've witnessed the power of Rachel's essence on this painting before. These portraits seem to serve as gateways for those with the right powers. Unfortunately, Vlad, neither you nor I possess these abilities."

Rachel peered closer at the painting, spotting a small note clutched in Violet's hand. The faint words 'break the bond' were scrawled on it. Her heart sank knowing this message was from someone Vlad trusted. Perhaps news of the Abaddon's breakthrough had reached the underworld. "It feels like the universe is telling us not to be together."

Turning to face Vlad, Rachel bumped into him. She steadied herself and met his gaze, her lips pressed into a thin line. "The Abaddon is using his influence in the underworld to intimidate us. I can't stand by and watch Violet or anyone else suffer. I won't let these lost souls be robbed of whatever peace they have left." Tears traced down her cheeks, which she quickly wiped away, her focus returning to Violet's portrait.

Vlad wrapped his arms around her. "We will fight this, Rachel. The louder his threats become, the closer we are to finding the answer." Rachel considered his words, wrestling with the potential cost of their actions. She loved him, but if it hurt those around them, maybe it was better to let go.

Estella coughed, snapping them back to reality. "Do I need to remind you both that we're running out of time? Enough with the affection—start looking through the books."

Vlad released Rachel and glanced up at the painting. "I still don't understand how you used this painting as a portal to the underworld. You shouldn't have been able to come back. The only way back from the underworld is through Inanis, and it's impossible to maintain your human form between those two realms."

"I told you, there was a creature," Rachel replied. "He used his powers to send me back. He seemed involved with my memories somehow—it felt like he was ensuring I didn't lose them again."