Chapter 11

Song: Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine

In her room, Rachel paced, her mind tangled in panic

In her room, Rachel paced, her mind tangled in panic. Her hands trembled as she grappled with the nightmare of the Abaddon and the leech. Desperation nudged her towards calling her mother, clinging to a sliver of hope for a magical solution. Yet, reality cornered her with Vlad as her sole confidante, his unpredictable reaction petrifying her.

Rachel shied away from seeking Darius's help, turning instead to Myus as her solitary hope amidst the darkness. His deep understanding of the Abaddon made him an invaluable ally. Driven by a desperate need for solutions, she was willing to overlook her hesitations. By choosing Myus, she could avoid entangling with the vampires—a compromise she accepted, even at the risk of awakening Vlad's hunger.

Navigating her anxiety, she pondered how to reach Myus's eerie house in the woods. Without a car and no rentals available at such an early hour, her options dwindled. Even the slim chance of hailing a taxi fell short, knowing no driver would venture all the way.

Under the looming threat of the Abaddon, Rachel's bond with Vlad, both intense and comforting, fuelled her urgency. Deciding to borrow Vlad's car, she hailed a taxi outside her apartment, the morning sun casting a warm glow amidst the solitude of early joggers.

With Vlad's address a blurry memory, she and the taxi driver navigated the city's maze. Despite a few missteps, they eventually reached their destination.

The building towered over the city, its modern lines cutting a striking figure against the skyline. Slipping inside proved surprisingly easy; she waited for a resident to exit and slipped in behind them. Yet, making it to Vlad's floor was a different story. With limited apartments on his level, she had to charm the security guard to escort her up.

She knocked on Vlad's door. Almost immediately, Vlad opened it, his eyes filled with curiosity. "It wasn't long ago that I dropped you off, and you're back already?" His raised eyebrows hinted at his intuition that something was amiss.

She breezed past Vlad into the living room, intent on her mission. "I need to borrow your car."

As Vlad closed the door and followed, his confusion was evident. "For what purpose?"

"I need to do something," she replied, her eyes darting around in search of his keys.

Vlad closed the gap between them. "What's going on?" he pressed, sensing her evasion. When she remained silent, he wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her close and securing her arms by her sides.

Her eyes met his, now filled with genuine concern. "What's troubling you?"

She faltered, "I... I just need to use your car."

"What happened, Rachel? Don't lie to me."

Rachel was acutely aware that Vlad would demand explanations before lending his car, yet disclosing the truth risked his interference.