Chapter 18

Song: Supermassive Black Hole by Muse

They reconvened in the kitchen, Rachel now dressed in a casual pale blue top and black short, borrowed from Estella's collection. Positioned at the breakfast bar, Rachel and Estella stood side by side, while Vlad remained on his feet. His unease with the situation was palpable, manifesting in his inability to remain still, pacing ever so slightly.

"Let me get this straight," he began, locking eyes with her in search of truth. "You took a bath, and without any chemicals, your hair changed colour? Nothing else occurred that might explain this?"

She nodded in affirmation. "I know I've made mistakes, and I'm a risk, but I need to say, I'm scared. Everything's changing—my hair, my powers..." She trailed off, not noticing her ramble until Vlad cut in.

"Our powers are now interwoven. That means you and I possess abilities we wouldn't have without our bond."

Rachel nervously bit her bottom lip. "It seems like power is channelled through this mark. I can't manage it. And I," her voice faltered as tears began to gather in her eyes, the weight of her experiences overwhelming her. "I dreamt about the Abaddon again. The dreams feel so vivid. I experience the pain, the cold. It's becoming unbearable."

Estella gently laid a hand on Rachel's shoulder, offering solace. "First off, your hair changing is unrelated to the Abaddon. All beings born of this realm undergo transformations. It appears your inner creature was dormant, and you've now awakened it. According to the legends, Aphrodite was known to be blonde."

"Estella's point is valid; of everything you've shared, this might be the least worrying. Did you kill Myus using these newfound powers? Remember, our abilities are intertwined because of the bond—it's possible you're manifesting skills that are mine but unfamiliar to you."

As tears streamed down her cheeks, Rachel found it hard to contain her emotions. "There was this burst of energy, and he was thrown against the wall. Is that something you can do?"

Vlad's worried look instantly conveyed his fear, especially as Rachel's new powers mirrored those of the Abaddon, suggesting she might be connecting with more than one formidable entity.

"Let's explore these abilities outside when you're ready," he proposed. This was more than adjusting to her powers; it was about grasping the significance of her connections and their potential impact on their fight against dark forces.

"And the dreams?"

"I'm thinking they're more than dreams," Vlad explained, his worry showing in the deep furrow of his brow and the firm press of his lips.

"But I just fall asleep, have these nightmares, and wake up right where I started. How can they be anything else?"

He gently took her hands in his, giving them a reassuring squeeze before releasing them. "Rachel, don't let fear control you. Focus on the present, and remember, you're not alone. I'm here to protect you."