Chapter 12

Song: Rupture by Laurie Darmon

Rachel forced her eyes open, breaking through the crust sealing them shut, only to be met by a shrill noise that made her groan and close them again. Slowly, she found the strength to rise, fighting against a headache far worse than any hangover. When a sudden tightness in her chest overwhelmed her, she succumbed to the discomfort, lying back down and momentarily disconnecting from her surroundings and recent events.

Gradually, Rachel's senses began to reawaken. She used her right hand to feel around, trying to figure out her location by touch. The fabric beneath felt soft yet worn, unlike Vlad's luxurious suede. An owl hooting outside caught her attention, prompting her to turn and try to focus on a nearby shape. Blinking to clear her vision, she strained to make out the figure.

On the floor lay a figure, its essence seemingly siphoned off. The skin, shrivelled and dry, mimicked the texture of a raisin, prompting Rachel to draw a startled comparison to a once-youthful Myus. His lifeless eyes were fixed on the ceiling, his complexion ghastly pale, with his tongue lolling out from blue-tinged lips.

Startled, Rachel sat up quickly, her head throbbing in protest. She leaned over and vomited, barely missing her clothing. Attempting to stand proved futile; the severe headache forced her back down, leaving her trapped in the grim aftermath of Myus's condition.

Realizing her weakened state, Rachel fought off rising panic by shutting out her surroundings and focusing on deep breaths. She needed to centre herself, to access her abilities.

Her focus returned to Myus's lifeless body, and she gasped at the sight of black, sinuous serpents coiling around him. The pressure they exerted was so intense that she could hear bones snapping. The snake-like creatures undulated as they drained the remaining essence from Myus.

Realising Myus's demise was at the leech's doing, Rachel was haunted by the fear of being its next victim—or worse, falling prey to the Abaddon. She knew she had to get away, to seek refuge with Vlad. The bond with her vampire wasn't just an alliance; it was her lifeline.

Abruptly, a serpent-like head, black as night, emerged before her. This leech, mimicking a snake, fixed its small, black eyes on her. Its skin shimmered under the light as it moved towards her with deliberate caution, its lengthy body eventually finding its way onto the lounge. The creature brushed against the warmth of her neck, settling there with a chilling familiarity.

"What are you doing?" she managed, her voice quivering, paralysed by the fear of meeting the same fate as Myus.

"Calm yourself, I'm just finishing what you started. That feeder would have killed you. That's why are feel so weak now," came a response, implying an unexpected savior rather than a new threat. "Your power is impressive."

"And you sucked him dry?" Rachel's attempt to raise her voice broke under the strain.

"I've longed to devour that wretched creature. He was a vile deserter who deserved every last drop drained from him. His location was always protected by magic. It was a pleasant surprise for you to lead me here."