Chapter 1

A whole year had passed since Asfandyar and Zubia tied the knot and what a year it had been. Tomorrow was their first anniversary. It wasn't all rainbows and sunshine but it was still, without a doubt, one of the best years of both their lives. For they at last found in each other the comfort and love they both had longed for, had needed so badly. 

All of this was floating through Zubia's mind as she lay in bed and stared at her husband asleep next to her, his chest moving up and down slowly and rhythmically, the movements always calming her down and making her feel safe. She stared at the contours of his face, his lips slightly parted, one arm draped across her, holding her tight and her heart started beating just a little bit faster.

Sometimes she would wake up like this in the middle of the night for no apparent reason and would be lost in her thoughts until sleep engulfed her once again. This used to happen before too but back in her room at the mess it was usually much harder as the thought of her loneliness seemed to cut like a knife across her chest. Now that terrible feeling had finally departed and for that alone Zubia Khalil was more grateful than ever; to her God, and to the beautiful man lying next to her. Her saviour, her Asfi.

She knew she should be sleeping since they both had the morning shift at the hospital as well as their anniversary party in the evening. A smile started to spread across her face as she thought of this. They had gotten so close to each other in just one year, so in sync. He had gotten her to destroy all her layers of defense, had penetrated her soul and reached the deepest depths of her heart and it had made all the  difference in the world. 

Haye Allah, Bus kerdo Zubia, she scolded herself. So jao warna kal bohat buri haalat hogi. Asfi ko dekho kitne sukoon se so rahe hain. Bus enough. With that thought she pulled herself down in the bed and buried herself under the warm comforter, finally drifting off to sleep. 

**

The next morning she was being shaken awake by her husband, who was already dressed in a crisp white shirt and his usual black pants. 

"Zubia agar tum aik second mein na uthi toh main tumhe tickle karna shuro kar dunga aur hum donon ko pata hai ke uss ke baad tumhari haalat kia hogi." 

His remark finally made Zubia open her eyes and she stared groggily at her husband. When his words registered in her mind she gave a little shudder and managed to sit up while rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She was reminded of the last time Asfandyar had tickled her and all hell had broken loose. She had almost been surprised that he had not ended their relationship after her shrieks had echoed throughout the neighbourhood. 

"Mujhe pata tha yeh bolunga toh uth jayengi aap" he said, smirking. 

She rolled her eyes and was about to get out of bed when Asfandyar sat down beside her and pulled her back. He fixed her with an intense gaze. She stared back at him with a questioning look. 

"Happy anniversary" He said, still eyeing her intently. Her eyes widened as the realization swept across her. 

"Aapko bhi" She replied a little shyly, her previous annoyance at being woken up all gone. After a few seconds of silence she continued, "Main bhooli nahi thi. Bus neend mein thi khayal nahi aya."

"Mujhe pata hai" he replied with a knowing smile. "Abhi bohat kuch hai jo main kehna chahta hoon but hospital time se pohanchna bhi zaroori hai. Tum tyaar ho kar bahir aajana jaldi se." He ran his hand across her cheek lovingly as he said this, and then he left the room.

**

Asfandyar walked out of the room and made his way to the kitchen where Gaiti Bhabi stood drinking a glass of water. She had come to stay with them for a few days while Dr. Haroon was out of town for a conference. The table was laden with breakfast and Asfandyar greeted his sister-in-law before sitting down and pouring himself a cup of tea. 

He felt unusually happy today and it was kind of frightening him a little. He was never one to share his feelings with others and always maintained a very placid and calm demeanor. He had mastered the art of hiding his innermost thoughts so beautifully over the past few years that it was sometimes hard to actually let go and allow his feelings to come out. 

So while Dr. Asfandyar had a completely stoic expression on his face, inside he was feeling a myriad of emotions. Happiness. Excitement. Contentment. Satisfaction. 

Maybe it was the thought of celebrating this year with his wife, or the fact that this sort of happiness was, if Allah wills, permanent. That this was just the first year. He would have her with him for all the coming ones. This was it, and she was it. 

Whatever it was, it was making him feel like jumping and dancing, something the 'old' Asfi would do. Speaking of which, the 'old' Asfi, after being silent for many many years, had been making quite frequent reappearances, much to the pleasure of his family. 

"Asfi kahan khoye huey ho? Tumhe teen baar awaaz di hai maine." 

With a jolt he was broken out of his reverie and looked up to find Gaiti staring at him with an amused expression on her face. He blinked at her. "Jee?" 

"Mere pyaare dewar jee, aaj aap dono please time se ghar aajayey ga. Khabar daar jo apni party ke liye late huey toh!" 

"Acha acha aajayenge time se" Asfandyar replied with a laugh. At that moment Zubia walked in and also took a seat. He noticed that she was wearing the same suit he had gifted her a long time ago when he had gone to Islamabad for a conference. This little detail made him smile to himself. 

"Sorry Gaiti bhabi aapko breakfast banane mein koi help nahi kar saki. Aankh nahi khuli meri" She said apologetically while stirring her tea with a spoon.

 Aankh nahi khuli meri" She said apologetically while stirring her tea with a spoon

"Oho Zubia please. Aap chup chaap naashta karein isse pehle aapke Hitler sahab late hone ka shor daal de aur khaane bhi na de."

Zubia smiled at the name Gaiti had just called him by while Asfandyar rolled his eyes. Oh what memories she had related to that name. Not that it suited him anymore. He treated her with so much love and tenderness sometimes that even she was sometimes amazed at her good fortune. 

Both of them quickly finished their breakfast and departed for the hospital for they were as dedicated and serious about their jobs today as they were when they first started. The fun would start later, at their anniversary party, which was only in a few hours.