Chapter 10

As Asfandyar's eyes scanned the report his heartbeat started accelerating. Having read countless blood tests in the course of his career it took his brain only a few seconds to register what he was reading. But his mind wasn't accepting it. He kept looking at the name printed at the top, as if repeatedly staring at it would somehow cause the words on the page to transform into someone else's name, and not his own wife's. However, no matter how many times and how long he looked at it it said, in clear black print, 'Dr. Zubia Ali Khan'. 

He let the piece of paper drop from his hands, which had now started sweating a little. It fell on his desk with a flutter. A million thoughts were racing through his head as he tried to process this. Shock dominated all other emotions at that time for this was the last thing he had expected to find.

Unless someone had accidentally typed Zubia's name on this report the indication was clear, beyond the shadow of a doubt. She was expecting. Asfandyar was going to be a father.

Asfandyar Ali Khan was usually quite guarded with his emotions but in that moment, sitting in his office with the weight of what he had just found lying heavy on his chest, he let out a huge laugh without even realising it. It just effortlessly escaped his mouth. And then he was full on laughing. Had there been someone standing outside the door, they would have thought this man had gone crazy. Just sitting there laughing to himself. 

But they didn't know what he was feeling. And this wasn't a feeling that everyone could understand. It could only be felt by someone actually going through it, actually experiencing it. Other than himself, he knew only Zubia could feel the way he was felt right now, no one else. 

Oh God, he thought suddenly. Zubia. His beautiful and utterly perfect wife. Who had no idea what had just happened to their lives. Who was oblivious to all this. So this is why she was so irritated and moody for the past few days, he thought with a smile. It all made sense now, and he breathed a sigh of relief at finally figuring it out.

Asfandyar was now wishing he hadn't opened the report. He thought about his next move. A part of him desperately wanted to run to his wife and engulf her in a hug. But if he was being completely honest he wasn't quite sure how she would react to this, especially hearing it from him. It was usually the other way around that this sort of news was delivered.

Suddenly he had an idea. He decided he would pretend to not know about this wonderful thing. He would simply hand her the envelope and wait for her to tell him herself. Asfandyar was actually curious to find out how long it would take Zubia to tell him, and how she would do it. Grinning to himself, Asfi returned the report back in the envelope and placed it in the drawer carefully. 

At that time his phone buzzed. It was a text from Zubia, telling him she was ready to go home.

Asfandyar texted her to meet him at the car. He gathered his things and walked out of his office, turning the lights off. As he made his way to the exit he was in such a happy frame of mind that he didn't notice the heads that had started turning as he walked. Yeh Dr. Asfandyar ko kya hogaya hai, was what everyone was thinking. They were not used to seeing him look so blissful. 

He saw Zubia waiting for him near the car and it took all the self control he had to not embrace her. He walked over trying extra hard to keep his face neutral, though he couldn't completely succeed.

"Aapko kya hua hai?" Zubia asked, studying him. His eyes were shining, and his entire face seemed to exude joy. She was taken aback by it.

"Kuch nahi" He said, opening the car door for her and gesturing for her to get in. "Just happy the day is over and I finally get to go home with my beautiful wife." Zubia raised her eyebrows at this. Yeh bare ache mood mein hain, she thought, wondering what the reason was.