Chapter 17 (Final Chapter)

A smile spread across Zubia's face at his question. She nodded, her heart leaping with excitement. Finally, she thought. They both then got up and started getting ready for work.

Later during the day when they were in the ultrasound room Dr. Asifa began her examination and both Asfandyar and Zubia's eyes were glued to the monitor. Zubia was less nervous this time as she was somewhat used to it by now. What she still wasn't used to was seeing her baby show up on the screen, despite having stared at the ultrasound pictures she had in their room countless times. Every time she saw this it left her breathless.

It took less than a minute for both of them to understand what they were seeing. But they were silent, waiting for Dr. Asifa to confirm their suspicions.

"Mubarak hou tum dono ko. It's a boy" said Dr. Asifa, smiling at the two of them

"Dekha! Mujhe pata tha!" Exclaimed Zubia in delight. She turned her face towards Asfandyar, shooting him an I-told-you-so look. He didn't seem to care though, he was staring at the screen with a contented smile on his face, while inside his heart had filled with an inexplicable joy.

Dr. Asifa saw them exchange a look and she had a feeling she should give them some privacy so she finished up and told them to meet her when they were ready, gently shutting the door behind her as she left.

When she left Zubia sat up on the bed. Asfandyar sat down next to her and pulled her in for a hug, holding her as tightly as he could without causing her discomfort. They both had their eyes closed. They seemed to be frozen in that position, as if they were both secretly trying to lock in this moment in their minds forever. He took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet smell of her shampoo and her perfume mixed together, which always put him in a daze even though he was so used to it.

"Aap khush hain na?" She murmured in his ear, breaking the silence that had enveloped them.

"Yeh bhi koi poochne ki baat hai? Of course. Bohat zyada" He said softly.

"Main bhi" she confessed, smiling.

"Thank you Zubia" He said. He really meant it. She pulled back from his embrace a little to look at him, though her hands were still on his arms.

"Aap mujhe thank you mat kahan karein. Mujhe ajeeb lagta hai" She said a little shyly. He tilted his head a little to the side, looking at her in amusement.

"Kyun?" He asked. She just shrugged, not quite sure how to explain it. Asfandyar laughed slightly, getting up and straightening his shirt. He reached out for her hand, helping her stand up.

"Chalein?" He asked with a smile. She nodded.

**

When they reached home that day they broke the news to his parents and to Gaiti who had also come to visit. The atmosphere in the house was very cheerful. Lubna aunty let out a stream of duas for both of them while also excitedly announcing that she would finally be able to go shopping for her grandchild now.

As they all sat in the living room having tea Gaiti couldn't resist teasing Asfi about how wrong his predictions had been.

"Uff mama main aap ko bata nahi sakti uss din itne confidence se keh raha tha ke meri beti hogi. Mujhe toh hassi aarahi hai isske expressions ko yaad karke" she said, laughing. Lubna aunty and Zubia joined in too and Asfandyar just shook his head in amusement at their behaviour.

"Aap sub log mujhse zyaada Zubia ki side lete hain. Meri team mein koi hai hi nahi" He said, feigning sadness. Gaiti chuckled at his expression.

"Acha acha chalo koi baat nahi. Kya pata agli baar beti hou" said Gaiti with a grin, looking at the two of them. Zubia's eyes widened and she felt slightly embarrassed, especially when her in-laws were sitting there too. Yeh Gaiti bhi na, she thought.