Chapter 2

After reaching the hospital, Dr. Zubia made her way to the emergency ward while Dr. Asfandyar began his rounds. After Asfandyar's warm embraces, the hospital was the second place where she always felt safe. It was her shelter, her refuge from all the harsh realities she had faced in her young life. Zubia always marveled at God's planning. She now understood why people always said 'everything happens for a reason.' Looking back sometimes, she would almost feel like thanking everyone who had betrayed her and defamed her, for it had brought her here, to this new and beautiful life, with the man of her dreams.

She wanted to thank Rehan for kicking her out, Mohsin bhai's wife for accusing her of having an affair with him, and her professor who had suggested she apply for a job here. She had come to the realization that after her mother's death she never would have been happy in Karachi, no matter what. Even if her brother had not disowned her she knew that life would always have been unpleasant. She thought back to the night of her Nikkah to Asfi when he had said some words which were etched in her mind forever. "Mujhe lagta hai ke hum waqai aik doosre ke liye banne hain." She had cried when he had said that.

The rest of the day at the hospital went by in a blur. They both had very few interactions and were quite busy with their patients. Throughout the day their colleagues, who were all invited to the party, wished them as they passed by. The atmosphere of the hospital had also improved quite a bit ever since Asfandyar had let go of most, if not all, his anger. He was much more patient and friendly now and would sometimes even joke around with his colleagues, much to their amazement and delight. Each had transformed the other in many ways.

Finally done for the day, they made their way home, feeling tired but knowing how much this celebration meant to the family and everyone else involved they refrained from complaining. As they entered they saw Dr. Haroon, who had returned from his conference an hour ago, overseeing the decorations while Gaiti and Asfandyar's mother were looking over the refreshments.

They had decided to have the party outside, and it was a good idea since the weather that day was particularly beautiful. There was a light breeze and the sky was crystal clear. The trees and bushes surrounding the house had been draped with twinkling fairy lights which gave the whole scene a magical touch.

Soon it was time and their guests started arriving, while the couple of the hour were still inside getting ready. Asfandyar was wearing a newly stitched black shalwar kameez with a waist coat which had a black and golden pattern. This look of his was Zubia's favourite. He was standing in front of the mirror trying to make his hair somewhat presentable when the sound of her bangles made him turn around. He stared at Zubia as she walked towards the mirror to put some final touches to her make up.

She looked absolutely beautiful and for the hundredth time Asfandyar thought about how lucky he was. She was wearing a gold coloured kameez with black tights and had a black and brown embroidered shawl lightly draped across her shoulders. Long chandelier earrings dangled from each ear lobe and her hair, which was normally in a braid or pinned up, had been let loose and cascaded down her shoulders, making her look stunning.

 Long chandelier earrings dangled from each ear lobe and her hair, which was normally in a braid or pinned up, had been let loose and cascaded down her shoulders, making her look stunning

"Tum bohat khoobsurat lag rahi hou. Balke yeh toh aik bohat chota word hai aapki taareef ke liye." He said seriously. Zubia busied herself by rummaging through the drawer for something as she did not want him to see the effect his words had on her. Whenever he complimented her in this dead serious tone it always made her nervous and fidgety. What she did not know was that her husband was well aware of this fact and he didn't need to see her face to know that it had turned rose coloured.

"Aap bhi bohat ache lag rahe hain" She replied. She loved him in this attire and was always shaken by how handsome her husband was. Before he could say anything there was a knock at the door and they turned to see Asfi's mother standing there telling them to come outside. They quickly obliged.

The rest of the evening was very pleasant. Zubia and Asfandyar went around greeting their guests with smiles on their faces. After a while Dr. Haroon's mischievous side kicked in and he decided that everyone who was close to the couple should stand up and say some words about the two. When he asked who wanted to go first it was Dr. Shehroze who stood up.

"Pehli baat toh aap dono ko bohat bohat mubarak hou. Iss khushi ke mauqe par main sub ko aik mazey ki baat batana chahta hun. Jis din Dr. Zubia humare hospital interview ke liye ayi theen tab Dr. Asfandyar ne unko hire karne se humein rokne ki koshish ki thi." Hearing this Zubia's head shot up and she looked at her husband in surprise. He had never told her that. Asfandyar, who was feeling extremely embarrassed as all the attention was suddenly directed at him, just shrugged at her and tried to look somewhere else while everyone laughed. Meanwhile Dr. Shehroze continued, "Aur aaj yeh dono apni shaadi ki pehli saalgirah mana rahe hain. It just shows you how life works in mysterious ways and our perception of people can be so different from how they really are. Khair my point was to remind you all that life is beautiful, and we should always open ourselves to all possibilities and follow our hearts. I am very happy to be celebrating this day with you two." T

he rest of the evening passed by like this, with smiles and laughter and jokes. At last when all the guests had departed both Asfi and Zubia, extremely tired, walked into their room. Zubia threw herself on the bed, hating the thought of changing and taking off her make up. Asfandyar chuckled at her action and walked over to his bedside table. He took out a black box tied with a silver ribbon and placed it in front of her. "Pura din time hi nahi mila gift dene ka. Finally ub hum akele hain." He said, gazing at her intently. Zubia sat up and opened the box slowly. It was a gold necklace, with a very tiny heart pendant which sparkled against the background. It was beautiful and she loved it there and then.

Asfandyar, who was watching her a little nervously, began to speak.

"I know kuch zyada nahi hai, lekin isska maqsad tumhe yeh batana tha ke main har waqt aur humesha tumhare saath rahunga. Mere dil mein sirf tum ho aur tum hi raho gi humesha. Main chahta tha ke koi aisi cheez dun jo ke tum har waqt pehen sako, aur jisko pehen ke tumhe har waqt yeh mehsoos hou ke main tumhare saath hun. Tum mere liye jitni ehem hou yeh main shayed lafzon mein bata bhi nahi sakta. Bus kabhi apne aapko akela mat samajhna."

When he was finished speaking he looked up and found his wife staring at him while a tear rolled down her cheek. He wiped it away with the pad of his thumb. She remained silent as she put on the piece of jewellery, now her most favourite one after her wedding ring.

After a few seconds, as if suddenly remembering something, she got up and came back with a gift wrapped box in her hands.

"Maine bohat socha tha aapke gift ke baare mein. Samajh nahi aarahi thi ke aisa kya doon jo aapke qaabil hou. Aapne kuch time pehle mazaak mein bola tha ke aapki watch kaafi purani hogayi hai. Mera iraada toh aapko aik nayi aur achi si watch le ke dene ka tha lekin jub main aur mama Islamabad gaye the shopping ke liye aap ke purane ghar bhi gaye the kuch saamaan lene aur wahan par mujhe Daniyal bhai ki watch mili aik puraane carton mein, wohi waali jo unhon ne uss case ke dinon mein pehni thi. I don't know wo wahan kaise ayi. Chal nahi rahi thi magar maine theek karwa li. Mujhe probably aapko nayi watch deni chahiye thi lekin maine socha ke aapko yeh shayed zyada pasand aye." She handed him the box while looking at him anxiously. Asfandyar didn't say anything. He calmly opened the box and took out the watch, recognizing it instantly. He put it on. It fit perfectly. He stared at it for a few seconds. It felt good. So good. Another part of his brother which he could now hold onto. It was a very thoughtful gift and he loved his wife for it. He pulled her in for a hug. Her head fit perfectly in the crevice of his neck.

"Thank you. I love it. I love you." He whispered, still holding her.