Chapter 12

Asfandyar looked up at her and smiled at her question.

"Larka ho ya larki, mujhe koi farak nahi parta. I'll be happy either way" He replied honestly.

"Haan lekin phir bhi?" She pressed on, curious to know what he was thinking.

"Well..." He said, looking thoughtful. Before he could even think about it his mind started picturing a little girl resembling Zubia, playing in the yard. Her brown hair flying in the wind, her eyes as big and beautiful as her mother's. This image melted his heart. "Now that I think about it, a small version of you would be adorable. Lekin phir meri beti ki aankhein tumhari jesi zaroor honi chahiye, bari bari" He replied with a grin. He loved her eyes. Zubia laughed a little.

"Ab tum batao?" He asked her.

Zubia was looking at him strangely. There was a light breeze playing with his hair. She studied his perfectly chiseled features and the contours of his face. She couldn't come up with a single flaw in it. Suddenly she badly had the urge for a boy.

A tiny version of Asfandyar running around the house. His hair dark, eyes the colour of warm chocolate. Maybe with spectacles framing his small face. Wearing black shalwar kameez on Fridays as he made his way to the mosque with his grandfather. Growing up to be a reflection of Asfandyar. A huge smile spread across her face as she continued to imagine this.

Asfandyar, waiting for her answer, knitted his eyebrows at her expression. He called out her name but she didn't seem to hear him. He wondered what she was thinking about that was making her this happy. She seemed to be on cloud nine, far away from here.

Little did they both know, in those very moments, they had unconsciously made up their minds as to what they wanted. For Asfandyar it was a girl, Zubia was strongly leaning towards a boy. This would lead to many arguments and discussions over the coming months, they just weren't aware of it yet.

"Zubia!" He said again, snapping his fingers in front of her. She finally broke out of her reverie and blinked at him.

"Kahan khoyi hui hou?" He asked, frowning.

"Kahin nahi. Idher hi tou hun" She replied with a giggle.

"Mujhe toh nahi lagta. Hum baat kar rahe they. Batao na?" He reminded her.

"I think mujhe larka chahiye" She told him, shrugging.

"Acha?" He said in amusement. "Kyun?"

"Main aapko wajah batane ki paaband nahi houn" She teased him.

"Zubia. You know I hate it when you use that line on me. Waise ub meri biwi hou. Thori si paband toh hou mujhe batane ki" He said, rolling his eyes. "Khair tum na bhi batao toh mujhe pata lag hi jaye ga. Tum mujhse kuch nahi chupa sakti, jitni bhi koshish karlo." He said this last part with a self-assured smile on his face.

Zubia sighed. That was true. He always managed to get her to open up, even when she didn't want to. There was just something about the way he looked at her, his intense gaze and the warmth in his eyes, that made her drop all her defenses and pour out her heart to him.

Sometimes she felt like she told him way too much. And she always expected him to look at her with judgement but he never did. He never looked at her with anything but love and acceptance. Even when he heard all her emotional baggage, all her irrational fears and doubts. Nothing fazed him, no matter how dark it was. It was a pure example of unconditional love.

Just then Asfandyar's phone started ringing. He quickly answered and Zubia watched him as his face turned serious listening to whoever was on the other line.