CHAPTER 5

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart." ~José N. Harris

~~~

A Monday, great! Did I talk about how Mondays are the worst. It's the start of school, a place where I don't wanna be.

As all my mornings went, I showered, did my usual routine, got dressed, packed my gym clothes, got my backpack, and went to catch the bus to school.

The bus was extremely loud and filled with kids. It was disastrous towards the front. But I had my place all the way in the back. No one usually sat in the back and to block out the noise, I always had my earphones. The bus ride to school was always extremely long since I live far.

I was almost about to fall asleep when I heard someone sit next to me. I opened my eyes to see a familiar face.

Seth!

"You seem startled. This is my seat you know." He stated.

"Your seat? I've never seen you in the bus. I always go to school using the bus. Don't you go on your car?" I asked, confused.

"I only go when my brother doesn't take the car to work." Something about the way he said brother bothered me.

"So anyways, tell me little bun, where are your parents?" He questioned.

That was always a sensitive topic for me to talk about. I wanted to say "My parents? How would I know? I've never seen my dad and my mother? Well she's probably having fun out there somewhere without me. She doesn't need me anymore." But I didn't have the courage to blurt those words out. They were too painful. Besides, Seth doesn't need to know.

So I simply said "I don't have parents."

He looked at me as if that was not the answer he had been expecting.

"Is that answer too vague for your liking? What do you expect? Me to have both my mom and dad, who are lovely and always take care of me? Do you want me to say how much my parents love me? Well listen, I don't have parents. I've never seen my parents and never will. I'm fine without parents." Lies. I felt upset at myself for saying that, but I had no control of the words I just said.

"That's not what I meant I'm-" The bus had come to a halt a few block away from my school. I rushed out before he could finish.

It was going to be a ten minute walk now that I'm off. Seth was no where in sight which was a plus. The roads were isolated as I was the only one here right now.

Suddenly, I heard rustles coming from the bushes near me. I fastened my pace in fear of whatever could be hidden.

There was a sudden fog that covered the front of my path. I couldn't see anything. The fog quickly surrounded me. Slowly, through the fog, I saw a person walk towards me. I couldn't make out specifically who it was. They were holding something. It seemed long -- a gun. Fear took over me as they came closer. I wanted to run as fast as I could. But my legs wouldn't move. I stood in the same place, frozen.

They stopped about six feet away from me. I could barely make out their face. It seemed to be a girl. They pointed their gun at me. Silence. Only the sound of my fast heartbeat was visible. A loud sound erupted the air and I felt myself getting pushed back by a heavy force. Everything around me became blurry. The last thing I saw before falling was a man. A mysterious who I don't know.

***

Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop.

The sound of water droplets filled the air. I woke up to see myself in a dark room. There were books and papers scattered across the floor. The bed where I was currently on was extremely rough and uncomfortable. The walls looked as if they were about to break down anytime soon.

It was a mess.

The setting reminded me of a room that would probably take place in a horror movie. There was a window. Through the window were trees that surrounded the view outside. It was dark and raining heavily.

I should be thinking: How did I end up here? Why am I here? How do I escape? But no thoughts ran through my mind. I felt a calm aura through the room. This room made me feel safe. The clatters of the raindrops hitting the window made me feel calm.

Suddenly, the door opened. I froze in my place. Tears were falling from my dull eyes.

There in front of me was someone I thought I would never see in my life. There, standing in front of me, was someone I hadn't seen in a long time. Someone who had left me broken. Someone I had longed for the past few years. Someone I have hated ever since they left. And now, she's back.

"Mom?"