CHAPTER 7

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have -- life itself." ~Walter Anderson

Right then and there, my bun completely loosened and my long hair was exposed. I felt a sharp pain swarm through my body. It felt as if I was being stabbed with a hundred swords. I felt out of control. Xena and the others were watching me. I could sense their eyes on me.

I felt as if I had just turned into a monster. My hair was now a bright golden color and longer than ever. Newfound power exploded in me as I felt powerful. Has my face changed as well? I was confused and left with so many questions.

"Retreat! Retreat!" Xena shouted. My vision quickly changed as I was now able to see more than a hundred feet away from me. Without me knowing, I suddenly let out a large beam of light towards Xena and her group. I then let out another beam of light towards the buildings next to me. Everyone was running out. I couldn't control myself. All the anger, disappointment, and sadness I've felt, I let it out. I felt someone screaming, and that someone seemed to be me. I wanted someone to stop me, to help me. I had no control. There was destruction everywhere.

"Stop!" I heard a voice call. "Stop immediately! Let's get your mother to a safe place first. Control yourself! Place your hair back into a bun Emily, you need to!" They kept calling. I have no control over myself. Half of me wanted to do exactly what the voice asked of me, but the other half disapproved. The other half wanted to destroy anything in its way. There was a small ping of pain in my chest. It hurts, I thought, it hurts a lot.

I felt a hand firmly grip my left arm. I pushed them back. I didn't know what was happening. The hand gripped my arm again, this time tighter.

"Get a hold of yourself! Look at your mother on the ground. Would she have wanted you to act this monstrous? Tie your hair up immediately." The voice said again. I stared down at my mom, lying cold on the ground. All the emotion in me left.

The person whom I had loathed had sacrificed themselves for me. The person who I had also loved was in front of me, breathless. I finally regained control of myself and tied my hair quickly into a messy bun. It was a bit loose but it would have to do for now.

Right after I did that, I felt normal. Silence. Silence everywhere. Xena and her helpers were no where to be seen. They have probably left seeing the state I was in. My breathing was fast and heavy. I couldn't believe what had happened. I'm not normal.

"Are you alright? You've been staring into space for the past ten minutes." A voice said next to me making me jump and almost fall. They thankfully caught me. I looked up to see who it was. That voice was the same voice who help my arm and had help me regain power of myself. I'd have to pay him back.

Standing there was no other than Seth. What was he doing here?

"Shouldn't you be in school right now?" I asked.

"I didn't feel like going today. Besides, what's the point of going when I skip almost all the classes." He stated. He had a point there.

"Well, thank you for helping me today. I'll pay you back, later. Right now my mom--" I looked to see her as I talked but her body was no longer where I last saw her. Fear rushed over me as I started to panic.

"Don't worry, she's safe. She's getting treated right now." He explained.

"She isn't dead?" Oh please oh please say she isn't.

"I meant -- medical help -- no -- they're preparing her funeral right now, yeah, that's it." He stopped before every sentence as if he was thinking about what to say. I was extremely suspicious but let the topic go. I felt sadness revolve around me seeing what the outcome of me being foolish would have led to.

"How did you know I was there?" I asked Seth, the question suddenly popping out in my mind.

"Your mom told me. You see, there are many things you don't know yet. There are many truths awaiting to be unfolded. For now, take a good, long rest. You seem exhausted." He told me. It was true, I was tired. My eyes kept twitching and there was absolutely no energy left in me.

"Will you tell me later?"

"Of course. I'll be right by your side here." He smiled, kissing me on the cheek. I felt a warm sensation arise in my cheeks. I can be certain I was blushing. I felt too tired to care.

"Goodnight." He said falling asleep on the blanket he had placed on the floor. I felt bad for seeing him sleep on the floor. I wanted to ask him to sleep next to me, but considering it might be too weird, I let it go.

"Goodnight." I mumbled, and soundly fell asleep.