Chapter Ten

BLAIR

Of all the ways Blair thought he would die, he didn't think he'd drown in his own mucus. He didn't think his death would be so mundane as to be caused by overdosing on cough drops. Yet, he was stuck in bed and slowly wheezing what he assumed were his last breaths based on how horrible he felt.

"You alive, up there?" Wayne asks from the door.

His roommates had been checking up on him constantly. Mostly just peeking into the room from the hallway and making sure he was still breathing. It's the thought that counts, Blair guesses.

"Unfortunately." he mutters and sits up barely to deal with another coughing fit. "Shouldn't you be somewhere?" he asks and looks to the door, knowing damn well that the moon was in the sky and therefore his roommates shouldn't be home.

"I was on my way out. Your friend was trying to come into the building to see you. Figured I'd let him in since you sure as hell can't get down here." Wayne shrugs. "I'll probably be home before dawn. Theo's already gone."

"What Friend?" Blair asks and sighs when Wayne just waves and leaves the door ajar.

"Hope you don't mind me." Blair is so surprised he wheezes and coughs until he's sure there will be permanent damage to his throat and lungs and all the while he can only stare as Jasper comes in and then shuts the door to his room. "Are you okay?"

"What are you doing here?" Blair demands and takes shallow breaths to keep from coughing again.

"It's good to see you too. Figured you would want company on your deathbed." Jasper shrugs and Blair notices that his smile is weak and fake and his voice is strangely soft. Like he's being careful.

"Are you okay?" Blair asks and watches as Jasper walks to the center of the room and awkwardly shift from one foot to another. "I thought you guys were going to North Village?"

"Pretty lame." Jasper shrugs and looks up at him. His bed is lofted and higher than anything else in their room, and just above Jasper's head.

"Are you drunk?" Blair demands and coughs into his elbow once.

"No." Jasper huffs. "I just didn't want to be there anymore and you're here, alone. I knew your roommates wouldn't stay in on a weekend so I figured I would come by." Jasper's voice sounds tight and defensive and Blair can't help but smile when Jasper crosses his arms and starts wandering the room.

"You were worried about little old me?" Blair teases and laughs before he's hacking again.

"You look disgusting." Jasper mumbles and runs a finger over Blair's desk.

"What, you don't think the sickly look works for me?" Blair asks seriously.

Jasper scoffs at that and shakes his head.

Blair knows he looks a mess. His hair is damp from sweat and it sticks to his forehead. He sounds like he smokes a pack a day and his skin is turning green from the amount of times he's puked that day. His nose stands out on his face because it's so red and he's freezing so his hands are shaking.

"I think you look about two bad sneezes away from keeling over." Jasper states and kicks off his shoes before starting to climb up the side of Blair's bed.

"What are you doing?" Blair asks, but moves over so that there's room for him. "I'm sick."

"Yeah, well tough shit." Jasper mutters and grunts as he pulls himself up the rest of the way.

They sit side by side on the bed, leaning against the wall and not looking at each other. Neither says a word for a few minutes and Blair watches Jasper clench and unclench his fists. Then Jasper twiddles his thumbs nervously and finally, when Jasper starts popping his knuckles, Blair speaks up.