Chapter 1

Don’t Give Up- Chapter 1

                I was always different from most girls, and I knew it.

                During my years of middle school, I only had one friend who accepted who I was. Clarice Adams was just like me. The both of us spent most of our middle school years together, watching horror movies instead of going shopping, reading novels instead of painting nails, and arguing over music instead of shoes. We both didn’t care too much about our looks and what people thought of us. That was what made us so compatible.

                It completely broke my heart when Clarice decided to try out for the cheerleading team in the beginning of freshman year in high school. I knew personally that Clarice was never too interested in school spirit. Clarice only wanted to make the cheerleading team to become known in Woodrow Wilson High School. 

                Clarice eventually did make the team. You can thank the three years of gymnastics she took in elementary school. She had new friends by the time football season started. The more she cheered, the less I got to see her. And when I did see her, it was during passing in the school hallways. She was always surrounded by a group of girls with matching red and white cheer uniforms, giggling about the football quarterback, or squealing about a pair of sparkly heels.

                I guess what hurt the most was when she left me. She decided to leave me when I needed her the most, and she knew it. I would never forget the look of guilt that flashed across her face when my father told her dad that my mother died.

                Anyway, she ignored me for a few months after she joined the cheerleading team. But, naturally, the popular and most respected people in our school would do their best to bring down the loners.

                I was one of the loners.

                Before I knew it, Clarice would gather around me with her group of bubble gum popping bitches. They were verbally abuse me, while everyone stood around to watch and laugh. I knew Clarice felt bad for bullying me, because I could see the glint of sorrow in her eyes every time I was called a bitch by one of her friends. But, she had to go along with it, just to keep up her reputation.