Chapter 12

Chapter 12

                “Are you done snooping through my son’s stuff?”

                The sudden voice startled me, as the frame of the picture slipped out of my hands. I watched with widened eyes as the glass shattered in a messy pile by my feet, the picture laying face down on the floor.

                “Look what you did! Who the hell are you?” an angry voice shouted at me, making me jump as the shards of glass went into the balls of my feet.

                I let out a whimper, as I stared up weakly at the woman standing by Alex’s doorway. She had a cold scowl across her face, a neat and tight bun on the top of her head, and a wrinkled pencil skirt.

                “I-I’m sorry.” I stuttered, trying to ignore the pain in my left foot. “I’m Aerial, Alex’s-“

                She raised an eyebrow, snorting. “Girlfriend?” she finished for me.

                My cheeks flushed up, as I shook my head quickly. “No, no! I’m just a friend of his.” I said, his mother looking unconvinced. “That’s his girlfriend.” I told her, pointing to the picture that was lying lifelessly on the ground.

                My foot gave up by now, as I limped towards Alex’s bed, taking a seat. I lifted my foot up to my thighs, examining the sharp glass that was pressing against my skin. My hands shook as I pulled it out slowly, wincing every so often at the pain.

                “Just hold on for a minute.” His mother said to me, letting out a deep sigh. “I’ll go get the first aid kit.”

                I nodded, as Alex’s mother disappeared from Alex’s room. She returned momentarily, kneeling down on the floor, as she began to take out some disinfectant. “Don’t cry. This might sting a little.” She muttered, dabbing some cold liquid on my foot.

                I bit back on my lip, closing my eyes, as the disinfectant stung my cut. Soon, the pain disappeared, as I watched Alex’s mother wrap my foot up in a tight bandage.

                “I’ll tell Alex that I broke his frame.” His mother said, kicking over the glass into one pile.

                I sighed with relief, giving her a small smile. “Thanks.”

                She studied the picture, as I watched her eyes focus on Natalia. She wiped the sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand, as she licked her lips. “I’m sorry about being so harsh when I thought you were the girl that gave Alex marijuana.”

                My eyes widened, as I bit my lip. “O-oh.” I muttered, scratching the top of my head. “It’s fine.”

              “So,” she said, placing the picture without a frame back on Alex’s dresser, “why are you staying over at my house?”