Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                Five Months Later

                Winter had turned into spring, and spring had bloomed into summer.

                I wasn’t exactly enjoying the hot weather and sun outside like everyone else was. I was stuck in a hot and musky library, studying for finals that were due to take place next week. I’ve been in here for the past three hours, and my mind was about to explode. The words that were in the textbook had gone blurry, and my head was killing me.

                My phone suddenly vibrated on the table, as I let out a frustrated groan. Reaching over, I clicked the green answer button, as I placed the phone beside my ear.

                “What do you want Damian?” I snapped, reading the caller ID.

                I heard rapid pants on the other line, as I suddenly sat up straighter in my seat. “Damian, what’s going on?” I asked.

                “Clarice!” he breathed with heavy rags. “Her water broke!”

                My eyes widened, as I slammed the textbook closed. Pushing myself out of the chair, I began to sprint out of the library, forgetting to get my notes.

                “Where are you right now?” I asked.

                “We just got to the hospital.” I suddenly heard a wail from the other line, then Clarice’s voice screaming. “I don’t care what you do! Just get me out of this fucking pain!”

                I began to curse under my breath, as I hung up on Damian. My fingers trembled as I dialed Hayden’s number.

                Before Hayden even got a chance to greet me, I began to ramble on. “Hayden! I need you to pick me up from the local library right now! Clarice’s water broke and she’s about to give birth and Damian is stressing out and I need a car!”

                “I’m on my way.” Hayden said immediately, before hanging up.

                Not even five minutes later, Hayden’s car pulled up in front of me. I hurriedly got into his car, as I gave him the address to the hospital. I couldn’t help but feel my heart racing against my chest, as I drummed my fingers against my kneecap.

                “Crap, hurry up!” I hissed as we stopped at a never ending red light.

                Hayden muttered under his breath. “I can’t just run over a red light!”

                The road was completely empty, and I didn’t see a need for a red light in a situation like this. I stepped my foot over Hayden’s, as the car went lurching forward.

                “What the fuck are you doing?” Hayden shouted. “You’re going to kill the both of us!”

                I ignored him, as I continued to step on the pedal harder, steering the wheel. We got a few angry honkers in the way, but we managed to get to the hospital in one piece.

                I ran out of the car with Hayden following me behind, as I approached the front desk looking like a mess. “I need to see Clarice Adams.”

                The nurse eyed Hayden and I, before clicking some buttons on her computer. “She’s in the emergency room right now. I can only let you in if you are family.”