Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                “Thanks for being here the day the teacher decides to not show up.” I sarcastically said to Hayden, as he took a seat next to me in the biology lab.

                Hayden chuckled, running a hair through his messy brown hair. “Hey, be happy that I even came today.”

                “Then what about all of the other days? When I actually need a lab partner?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

                Hayden shrugged, leaning back in his seat, kicking his legs up to the table. “I don’t think you would need help from me, anyway.”

                “And why is that?”

                “Because the highest grade I ever got in biology was a C,” he paused, giving me a serious look, “minus.”

                I rolled my eyes, but I couldn’t help but let a grin slip across my face. “Touché.”

                Hayden rummaged through his book bag for a moment before taking out a flattened bagel with cream cheese oozing from the sides. “Want a bite?” he asked me, taking a rather large bite out of the bagel himself.

                I shook my head. “I’m fine.”

                Hayden shrugged, chewing on his sandwich. “So,” he paused, swallowing his food, “you’re staying over at Alex’s for longer than expected, huh?”

                I felt my cheeks get warm, as I bit on my lower lip. “How do you know?”

                Hayden rolled his eyes, munching away on his bagel obnoxiously. “He’s been by my side since the first grade. He tells me everything.”

                I nodded, taking out a math assignment I didn’t get to finish last night. “Oh, right.” I paused, jotting down some answers to my home work.

                “I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m sensing some romantic activity between the two of you.” Hayden suddenly said, making me break the tip of my pencil.

                My hand shook, as I went through my bag for a new pen.

                Why was my heart beating against my chest so hard?

                Why did my cheeks feel so hot?

                I cleared my throat, licking my dry lips. “Please, Hayden.” I paused, erasing the stray mark that I made on my homework. “Cut the bullshit out.”

                Hayden threw the wrapper of his bagel in his bag, as he kicked his feet down. He leaned closer to me, elbows resting against his kneecaps. “I’m serious,” he paused, letting out a chuckle, “for once.”