Chapter 23

Vote please! :)

Chapter 23

               “What do you think is up with Hayden?” I asked, as Hayden walked into school the next morning, head help up high, grin wider than usual.

                Alex shrugged, pretending as if he didn’t know, but deep inside, I could see in his eyes that he knew exactly why Hayden was so happy today.

                I frowned, curious as Hayden approached us. “Hey guys!”

                “Hi.” I mumbled, still trying to figure out what was happening. Just yesterday, he was so moody and snappy towards me, for calling Aubrey Small a bitch. Why was he so defensive yesterday? As far as I knew, Hayden hated her just as much as Clarice and I did. After all, she was the one who babbled to everyone that Clarice was pregnant, and was the girl who tormented me since freshman year.

                Hayden seemed to notice my foul mood towards him, as his grin slipped off his face. He cleared his throat, shooting a look towards Alex. “Um, Aerial, can we talk for a minute?”

                Alex rolled his eyes. “Why can’t I stay?”

                “I don’t want you to give me a black eye when I profess my undying love for your girlfriend.” Hayden sarcastically said, earning a glare from Alex. Alex let out a huff, as he pushed past Hayden’s shoulder roughly, making him stumble back a few steps.

                Once Alex disappeared down the hallway, turning to the corner, Hayden turned back to me with a weak smile on his face. “I wanted to say sorry about yesterday.” He scratched the back of his head.

                I sighed, nodding. I couldn’t stay mad at Hayden forever, I mean, we were best friends. “It’s fine. But are you going to tell me why you went all PMS on me when I called Aubrey a bitch?”

                Hayden’s cheeks turned bright red, as he cleared his scratchy throat. “Right.” He muttered under his breath. “About that, you see-“

                “Oh, gross.” A voice suddenly snarled, as Aubrey stared at Hayden and I with disgust. “It’s Voldemort and Chewbacca.”

                I glared at the red head, but Hayden dipped his head low, losing all of his confidence. He almost looked hurt by Aubrey’s words.

                Whoa, what?

                “You guys make a great couple.” She sarcastically smirked, as she walked away, her sky high heels clicking behind her.

                When she left, I turned to Hayden, who looked like a puppy that just got slapped. “Hayden, what the hell is going on?” I asked sternly.

                Hayden sighed, looking defeated, and unlike his usual cheery self. “There’s something I need to tell you about Aubrey and I.”

                I gulped, already having a bad feeling in my stomach. “Okay.” I paused, letting out a deep breath of air. “Talk.”

                “Well, Aubrey and I had a past…” he started off. He started by telling me how they were childhood best friends, which made me frown. What happened to them? And then he proceeded to tell me how he dated her for two years, until he cheated on her at a party. My mouth dropped with disbelief, but all the pain on Hayden’s face told me that he wasn’t joking around. After, he told me how he changed her, making her into the person she is today.