Third surprise

The voice that came from the other side of the door had nothing in common with that old crazy man. It was the voice of a young woman and by the tone it seemed quite angry. I was scared. I didn't understand anything.

I took a deep breath and opened the door. The sun was at its highest point and in front of me was a girl of about twenty, dark and with clear eyes. Her clothes were disheveled and her hair somewhat tousled.

- Sorry... - I mutter as I pass by her.

- Are you okay?

- Yes... Yes, I think so.

She looked at me raising an eyebrow in disbelief.

- You think?

- I'm fine, don't worry.

The brunette lifted her shoulders and went into the bathroom. My eyes began to inspect the place and there was no trace of the man who took me there.

I remember starting to get away from the back area and see how the gas station was in full operation and how the cars passed at high speed on the road that, only a few minutes ago, it was abandoned.

I started to get nervous and took a few steps back until I collided with someone.

- Hey, are you really okay?

It was the girl in the bathroom.

- Yeah... I'm just a little disoriented. Can you tell me what day it is today?

- Twenty-fourth of September.

- Which year?

- Nineteen ninety-one... Hey, I see you aren't well, let's have a drink and we'll talk.

I noticed how my heart sank. I had traveled twenty-six years back in time. It was on the day that Nevermind was released and I could live on my own skin how Nirvana rose to fame. In addition, this implied that I could fulfill the dream of seeing them live and, most importantly, I could try to change the ending of Kurt.

"It's better that you leave things as they are." That phrase began to rumble in my head as soon as Kurt's face came to mind.

I accepted that girl's invitation and we both went into the gas station cafeteria.

- Tell me, what's your name? -she wondered.

- Narel.

- I never heard it.

- I imagine. -I said- It's rare. And what's your name?

- Alice.

- Nice to meet you. -I smiled.

- Me too.

Our brief conversation was interrupted by the increase in the volume of the local television.

"The new album by the grunge band Nirvana, "Nevermind", will be released this afternoon at 5 o'clock. At 11 o'clock at night there will be a free concert at the Crocodile Cafe courtesy of the members of the band for all those who don't are in a good economic situation to pay for a concert ticket for the tour that will start tomorrow, and after the performance, the guys have assured that everyone will have the possibility of having their album signed. "

My eyes widened and I felt that my heart was going to come out of my chest.

- Narel? Are you okay? You are very pale.

- Yes, but I need your help. I know we just met, but I need you to take me to the Crocodile Cafe, please.

- Calm down. -she laughed- I'm going to see them, too. If you want we can go together.

I thanked her about a hundred times.

- Come on let's go, I'll leave you at home. -she said as she got up from her chair.

- The truth is that...- I thought an excuse as fast as I could- I'm not from here. My parents kicked me out of the house and I came here in search of a better life, but I have nowhere to stay.

- Fuck, I'm sorry. You can stay at my house until you need it.

- Really?

- Of course. You look like a good girl and besides you like Nirvana, what else can I ask for?

I thanked her again and we both climbed into an old dark green van. To this day I'm still amazed by the hospitality and confidence that overflowed people in the 90s.

- And tell me Narel, where are you from?

- Aberdeen. -I answered without thinking twice.

- Seriously? And you know Kurt? -there was a tone of emotion in her voice.

- Yes. I mean, no. Not really.

- It's weird that being the two of you from the same town have never seen him before.

- Well, I didn't usually go out of the house a lot, besides I didn't go to the high school.

- Well I'm sorry to tell you that from today that will change and you will step on the floor of your next house very little.

We both laughed while the Melvins started playing on the radio. It was at that moment when I realized that everything was real and that I had to take advantage of it.