4. High Resolution

The captain. The nickname came to Flint's ear causing him to turn his attention from his clipboard to the enterence of the storage room.

"Captain," Vanessa sang as she slowly entered the storage room.

"What?" Flint asks mindlessly returning to check the inventory.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you... in your office..." she says with a giggle.

Flint checks the inventory of the vodka and then turns back to Vanessa with a raised eyebrow.

"What is it?" He asks again ignoring her request.

Vanessa's hand runs up Flint's thick muscular arm but Flint is too invested in his work to even notice.

"Please," she purs leaning to his ear.

Flint moves to a different shelf, annoyed by Vanessa's antics.

"Come on," she tries again.

"You should be-" before Flint could lecture the girl on working there was a frantic call from the front room.

"I need an ambulence!" An accented female voice yelled loudly.

Flint pulled away from Vanessa, thankful to get away from the floosy.

There was a small, young woman standing by the bar. Her eyes were growing red like she was on the verge of crying. She looked scared and was visibly shaking but her voice and agression to Najeem showed protection.

"Whats going on?" Flint asks as she approaches the bar. He sets his clipboard down waiting for a disaster.

"My friend I think she's having a heart attack or something!" She says pointing out the door.

Flint signals Najeem to call for help as he hurries out the door with the frantic woman.

"She told me to come here and then her heart started hurting. She wouldn't let me take her to the hospital," the girl explains frantically.

Flint approaches the jeep where he begins to see long legs laying on the asphalt. A small body leans against the front tire, shaking. As he begins to turn to approach the figure he hears the howling of pain. The scream was all too familiar and causes his own heart to race painfully.

"Clara!" Flint exhales as he falls to his knees beside her.

She clutches her chest tightly as she cries.

"Wheres Carter?" Flint asks Clara's friend.

"He went after... there was a guy taking pictures of Clara and so he went after him. There was a guy following Clara and I out of the mall. We ran as fast as we could to my car. I think the running and fear must have done something to her," she explains nearly crying.

Flint clutches Clara's arms and brings her close to his own body.

"The ambulence is on its way, you're gonna be okay, baby," he says with small shushes.

"It... hurts!" She sobs gasping for air.

"I know... but you have to take deep breathes and try to calm down," he says without confidence.

He pulls on her good arm and presses her hand to his chest right over his heart.

"You feel that? Match mine. Slow down," he instructs.

She takes in another deep breath, focusing on her breathing as she feels Flint's heartbeat beneath her fingertips.

"Slow down," he says much quieter than before.