8. Luncheon

With a shower, fresh clothes, a full stomach as well as some pain killers, Clara was ready for what the day had in store.

Flint opened the bar alongside Najeem as if their lives were unhindered. On the inside, however, Najeem was angry.

How could his friend and boss suddenly change his values, change his entire life to accommodate a girl he'd met just over two months ago?

He knew he had to keep his mouth shut otherwise there would be a huge rift. He didn't want Flint to think he didn't like Clara, that wasn't the case. He just didn't like Flint and Clara together and he had a reason for it. He cared about both of them and together their relationship proved to be a toxic one. Sure, Najeem was willing to protect the girl and help her but Flint was taking protection to a whole new level. Yes, Flint is Clara's boyfriend but... they just started dating. No guy would fight several men to the death in a basement just to get revenge for a girl they'd been dating for some weeks. Maybe it was the principle. What those people did to Clara was unspeakable but this was getting out of hand.

Najeem thought of ways to handle the situation as he helped prep the bar for opening. He tried to remain focused but he wasn't exactly able to multitask.

"Why are you putting the strawberry syrup next to the whiskey?" Flint questions.

Najeem is crouching down behind the bar while Flint stands opposite of him adjusting the barstools.

Najeem looked down at his hands, moving the full bottle of syrup he had just replaced but now it sat next to a bottle of whiskey rather than the sodas.

"I'm just tired," Najeem chuckles.

Flint nods. "Speaking of which... where is Vanessa? If she 'slept in' again and isn't gonna show up, I'm gonna have to cut her hours back and give them to someone who will show up."

"Good luck with that," Najeem laughs.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Flint grips the back of a bar stool, his knuckles turning white.

"She's a little... delusional if you will."

Flint's eyebrows knit together as he relaxes his grip on the stool.

"Please, explain."

Flint's arms fold over his chest, curious as to whether he should be concerned about an employee or simply take the information as gossip.

"She's always had it in her head that she's your favorite. That she can get away with whatever simply because she can... how should I say this... act flirty... act... seduce you," Najeem says his accent getting thicker as he tries to think of the correct word.

"What?" Flint questions simply because he's sure his friend has mistaken the situation but by the look on his face, he is sure the information is true.

Before Flint can respond, the bar doors swing open allowing the bell to ring and announce the presence of someone walking in. It wasn't Vanessa like Flint had expected nor was it Clara. A waitress walked into the bar in uniform. She was short, blonde with spikey hair. Her name was Jaime and she was a favorite of many lunch rush regulars.

"Wheres Vanessa?" Flint asks in a deep tone, irritated.

"She... she said she was going to talk to you about us switching shifts!" Jaime says shocked by the confusion on the Scotsman's face.

"What the hell..." Flint runs a hand over his face frustratedly.

"I'm surprised that she didn't tell you last night," Jaime says laughing.