Braided Realities

This is a short update guys. Buckle up for the ride! 😳
......................................................................

Rafiq was humming a tune, tracing the sand on the road with a stick when a police jeep halted beside him.

"Hey!"

Scanning the surroundings, he pointed to himself widening his eyes insecurely.

"I'm calling you!"

"Sir?" he crossed his arms in front if him.

"Are you involved in the missing case of that woman from the Kamarottu house?"

"No Sir! I swear! Absolutely not! I'm just their driver. If you want, I can be yours too!" he exclaimed trying to hold the inspector's hands.

"Gross! Leave me! Hmm.. Now, is it true that you took that man to the hospital last night?"

"Yes sir. Akka was ill. So--"

"Yeah whatever. How did that lady look like the last time you saw her? Was there any sign of anxiety on her face?"

"I don't know that, Sir. She was asleep inside."

"Aha.. Have you ever seen the couple fight? Did they have any misunderstandings?"

"No idea Sir. Since she was carrying, Akka rarely came out. But Anna used to tell me that his wife falls sick frequently."

The officer who was lost in thoughts was brought back to senses.
"Sir! Anything else?"

"No. But make sure you come to the station when called for." he said authoritively.

"Me?"

"Yes! You!"

The jeep soon sped away leaving him unscrewed.
"What did I do? I didn't even steal a coconut?"
Rafiq scratched his head with both hands.

- - - - -

"Anna."
Girija restlessly played with the end of her saree addressing the officer who was tapping his fingers on his forehead with eyes closed.

"Call that old woman. I need to have a word with her."

"What is the use Anna. Niether can she hear nor see."

"Your husband?"

"It's been three years since he was washed away in the river. There is nothing you don't know Anna."

"Tell me about that lady living in the house of Kamarottu."

"Why? Did that man do anything to her?"

"What!"

"I casually asked. Nothing much but that man is strange. I have seen him stroll around in the forest."

"How about his wife?"

She nodded her head negatively.
"I went to their house two days back since I had been asked, but there was no one!"

He threw his hands in the air and leaned over the seat massaging his crown and gestured her to leave.

- - - - -

"There's no signal again!"

"I'll get it fixed Sir."
The constable saluted to the officer.

"Mister Vihaan, you are free to leave now." he said turning the pages of a file.

"Inspector, did you get any clue about my wife?"
Vihaan eagerly sat up.

"Your wife cannot be found. Go home and sleep." he hastily answered without even facing the person in front.

"This is called being IRRESPONSIBLE Sir! I am desperate to know what happened to my wife!"

Averting his cold gaze towards him,
"Good deeds would have helped her find a place on heaven or else she'd be in hell."

"I-Is she dead?"

"Yes. Dead. D-E-A-D! Case close." he joined his four fingers and swifted them in the air sideways.

"Excuse me!"

"Sandhya Suvarna left this world after a car accident near Mullaiyanagiri."

"But w-when? Where is she now?"

The inspector unclicked his pen studying Vihaan's features.

"You must be aware if you buried or burnt her! She died SIX years ago."

"Is this some kind of joke? My wife was right by my side until yesterday evening!"

"I have no time for comedy. After interrogating with a good number of people, we were acknowledged that except you, no one else has seen your wife. Listen out..
THIS IS NOT A POLICE CASE, IT'S A MENTAL CASE.
She only lives in your mind."

Vihaan's POV

She died SIX years ago.
- -
"You said you would introduce me to your wife, eh Vihaan?"
"I will Sir. Actually her health is a little upset. So.. "
(Chapter two_Vihaan talking to his neighbor in Ooty)
- -
"Vihaan! Looks like you've come alone."
"My wife wasn't doing good. She's taking rest at home. So here I am alone."
(Chapter eight_ Kalinga speaking to Vihaan in the yakshagana program)
- -
"No idea Sir. Since she was carrying, Akka rarely came out. But Anna used to tell me that his wife falls sick frequently."
-
"I went to their house two days back since I had been asked, but there was no one!"
(Chapter ten_Rafiq and Girija answering seperately to the inspector)
- - - - -

"SANDHYA!!!!!!!!!"
The car screeched in the middle of a forest while the heavy rainfall further wettened the marshy ground.
Vihaan's head was resting on the steering wheel while the continous, loud horn sound disturbed the bats and birds residing in the trees.
He wiped the tears which involuntarily made way down his cheeks with his shirt sleeves and drove not knowing what destiny held.
......................................................................

Happy Republic Day and Bhaagamathie Day!

This time you are speaking guys 😶

I'll be waiting.......