My Vihaan

We were taken to a hospital by a few localites. I felt insecure seeing policemen investigating another case.

"Madam, what's your husband's name?" the nurse enquired.

Harini fidgeted her fingertips, looking around. Husband?

"What is the patient's name, ma'am?" the lady's tone was slightly louder.

Without giving it a second thought, I called you Vihaan and myself Sandhya

"He's in coma due to severe blood loss. We've kept him under observation." the doctor informed Harini who was standing at the threshold of the ICU.
"Ma'am, you should get yourself bandaged." he added.

It was almost after three days, you gained consciousness. I used to stare at your sleeping form hugging my knees, blank about my next step.

Tossing and turning over, Aahan curled his toes and clenched his teeth. A sharp pain shot up his spine as he struggled to part his eyelids. He was profusely sweating when a blurry vision of the dreadful day recalled in his mind.
Before the pain could spread across the neighboring muscles and nerves, he felt a sense of comfort. Opening his eyes to meet a gleaming pair of another, he squinted. She was kneeling down in front of him, gently rubbing his palms and feet, anxiety evident on the unclear sight of what seemed to be her face.
It was half past midnight and she didn't dare to leave the room to call for help.

"Please, stop shivering. Is it cold? I've shut the windows. Here, hold my hand. Look at me. Your fine." she whispered still caressing the pad of his hand with her thumb.

Her tenderness and soft voice, eased the trauma inside him. He wished he had the ability to get a clearer view of the person's features. Was it just curiousity?

Our bonding grew stronger as days passed. Ever since the doctor told me about your memory loss, I felt nervous to tell the truth. I had connected to you like no other. Though it had been countable number of days since we'd entangled into these weird circumstances, I couldn't gauge my existence in your absence. Not even in my nightmares. You were no more the mere stranger who shared my fate in an accident.