Angaara

This chapter has a story which is not meant for people who aren't comfortable with horror.
Happy reading!
......................................................................

"Vihaan!"
Shankar master and Kalinga halted in the middle of the road at the instant, seeing Janani and Vihaan.
"What happened?"
He exclaimed at the sight of blood dripping from the corner of his lips and nose

"Master, it's better if we all go home."
- - - - -

"Mahabala Hegde is not an easy nut to crack. Vihaan, you'll have to stay away from him. He's extremely influencial. "
Kalinga affectionately placed a hand on Vihaan who sat criss-cross on the red-oxide floor, hugging his knees.

"I just want Sandhya back and for that I'm ready to face anyone! Even if it's Mahabala Hegde! Abiding by Garnal Babu's words, there are many missing cases in this village. Do you two know this?"

Shankar master blew cinders popping up from the hearth of the charcoal stove and settled beside Vihaan glancing at Kalinga, wiping his forehead with a towel.
"Yes. Nothing is false in what he has said. Last July, a girl from our neighborhood had gone out and has still not returned."
His voice lowered at the end of his statement.

"Is this something related to the guddada bhūtha?"

One could see the master's face paling. After a pause,
"There was a lad named Angaara in this village, who used to perform at the Mahabala Hegde's bhūtaaradhane. You know, the one you visited a few days ago. Not to say the boy was unlikely and quite weird in nature though he was naive. Like every year, in 2006, he was supposed to perform, but alas was nowhere to be found. We all searched till midnight, which was when we saw his body hanging upside from a tree behind the Kamarottu house.. Headless!

The mystery of his death is yet to be solved

The mystery of his death is yet to be solved. Some say, it had Mahabala Hegde's involvement while others bank on the belief of the brahmarakshasa killing him. One thing's for sure. Post Angaara's death, numerous terrifying incidents have occurred. Every year, eleven days after that date, we hear a horrible sound, like someone's loud scream, from the top of those wrecked hills.
Vihaan, this is just like how me and you exist. You cannot deny the fact that the guddada bhūtha is not make believe."
- - - - -

The jeep sped down the muddy lane as the heavy rain poured mercilessly.

"We've gotta list out the names of people who were previously targeted and talk to their families. Why would someone kidnap---"

Vihaan applied a sudden break when another vehicle met his one dangerously close.

"Where are you going?"
It was the dreadful policeman again at the most unwanted moment. Vihaan clutched his fist, clenching his jaw.

"Any problem?"

"Shut up! Where are you going with this girl in the middle of the night?"

"She's my friend and I don't owe you an explanation."
Vihaan hissed sternly.