SERMORPH

"The superweapon is complete," Gardfore spoke to Sermorph. Sermorph peered up to the wizardry superweapon towering above all the buildings, and from within it a bright ray of yellow light emanated out of it, shooting out into the horizons. It was brought to the maximum strength, and it was the most powerful weapon in the realms.

However here there was not only them and a few disciples but hundreds of the disciples and a few other masters, including Gardfore the Guarding Master of Bumberdolf.

"Good," Gwyndale said, "How close is the darkness?"

"Simply a mile from here, and we might have only the hour to prepare," Gardfore replied.

"That's enough. By the way," Gwyndale turned to Sermorph, "I need to speak with you. Come with me."

"Why can't we just speak there in the town hall?" Sermorph said as they slipped into a deserted alley.

"People are listening," Gwyndale placed a finger on his lips, "I have found something in the Singing Hall."

"The Singing Hall?"

"Yes. There is a crack at the back of Mesir's statue, and it appears to be obvious that someone placed something in it in Mesir's statue during its carving."

"So you mean..."

"Yes, if you and I have the same thoughts," Gwyndale replied, "That the darkness is looking for what is inside the statue."

'BOOOOOOOOOOOO!' A horn sounded, and a deep rumbling sound could be heard. Both wizards paused and waited.

'BOOOOOOOOOOOO!' The horn sounded yet again, and Gwyndale turned back to Sermorph, "I'll tell you more about it all if we have time. The darkness is coming, let's get prepared."

***

Towards the horizon, they could see nothing but an orb, making dust and dirt spring up from the ground and spiralling up around it.

"What is that?" Thea squinted, peering up into the skies. Then, the orb sent the dust and dirt plummetting back onto the ground forcefully, and the hills burst open, huge worms the size of an inn burst out of the ground in thousands.

Sermorph knew what it was. Lavaworms were their names but some men named them dragons, and they were feared beings even by the light and dark wizards. "Activate the weapon!" He heard Gardfore say in his subconsciousness.

However, the lavaworms were so close and some already extended its wings. The weapon would be useless now. Sermorph impaled his staff into the ground, and the ground shook. From above, swords rained down on the lavaworms, impaling them by the hundreds, yet some crossed the wall and the flames from their mouths wreaked havoc on the city.

"Fire!" He heard Gardfore bellow, and for a split second a feeling so awful bit into his bones, and he felt skinned bit by bit, and then the pain stopped. When Sermorph peered up again, the bodies of the lavaworms were strewn all over, and the orb was simply left with a single figure within it, a dark aura spreading down.

The figure leapt down and faced the castle gates. "Master Gwyndale, well," The voice emanated from below his dark cloak, "I see your fears. You mask it well, but you know your defeat is inevitable; you are merely lengthening the moment to your defeat."

"I also do know so well who you are," Gwyndale spoke, "The unnamed, failed disciple of Mesir."

"You never understand. None of you will," He spoke, "But if you survive this, you might learn later." He made a pulling motion with his hand, and the castle walls crashed down, and while many were buried Gwyndale, Thea, Gardfore and Sermorph managed to leap down from the wall before its collapse.

"You are weak," He spoke, "Could you even sustain a blow?"

"We'll see."

Sermorph attacked, but the unnamed sidestepped and he fell, but as Sermorph impaled his staff from behind the figure simply burst into a dark mist, then turned back into his human form again.

"As you see, I am immortal," He spoke in a whisper, swinging his own staff viciously and from his ears small balls of darkness rolled into the air, whirring around the masters, "No mortal blade shall harm me."

The butt of the staff of the unnamed hit Gardfore at the back of his head, and he fell, his face hit right onto the muddy ground. "Thea!" Gwyndale yelled, "Bring Gardfore to safety! Sermorph and I will fight him." Gardfore and Thea left, and Gwyndale made a grabbing motion, a palm of blue flames appearing in his hand, and he slammed it into the head of the unnamed.

The cloaked figure was thrown onto the ground, and Sermorph held a globe above him, making him unable to move.

"False darkness you practice, huh, Master Sermorph?" The unnamed spoke, "Working with the light, that wasn't our tradition."

"Then you're outdated," Sermorph managed a chuckle.

"That was not what I meant. You work with those who claim to be light wizards to fight with those your own kind. What is all that for?"

"You need the light magic yourself, and how dare you utter such a ludicrous comment?" Master Gwyndale yelled, "He needs the magic to achieve maximum power. I do know it, even if you do not want me too."

"You think you know me well? You are not the light. What have you and your 'tribe' done in your long reign? Suppressing us. Using us, and painting demonic looks on our faces, with your words that the mortal men claim to be good!"

"Quiet!" Gwyndale silenced him with his magic, "You shall not speak."

"And who shall not speak?" The unnamed rose, the globe Sermorph held above him shattering into pieces, "I am not to be defeated. Never!"

He hurled Gwyndale and Sermorph like a rag doll away with his bare hands and strode past a fallen lavaworm into the city.

"Leave," Gwyndale whispered to Sermorph, and they disappeared with a mist.