Master Painter, Aspiring Model (Part One)

Phil is an accomplished painter working between commissions. Dan is a confident student who is looking to make some extra cash.

Dan models for Phil.

Time Period: Fall 2010

* * *

Phil worked from his studio flat in the center of Manchester. He lived and breathed his art. Considered a prodigy by the art community, both its critics and its enthusiasts, Phil produced some of the most beautiful paintings and sculptures in the UK.

At only 23, Phil Lester had received commissions upwards of £150,000.00. He was known for both his Vermeer-style illumination technique and his unique ability to paint the male form so beautifully.

He was surrounded now by his various tools and supplies: crinkled tubes of oil paints, a pot of white Gesso, brushes stained with color, lidded jars of sweet turpentine, and plexiglass palates, all clouded with the etchings of knives and the buffing of brushes. Canvas frames leaned against one wall, some stretched and stapled, and others only partially constructed. Completed paintings hung from the walls.

He sipped his second caramel macchiato of the morning, and completed his ad for male models. The university was an excellent place to find models, both able and willing.

Phil was in between commissions now, and he was in the mood to create, though he was undecided as to his medium. If he found the right model, he may be inspired to paint and sculpt. It had been so long since he had felt the desire to sculpt.

He was a singleton, and often misunderstood by his peers. His life was quiet, lonely, yet professionally rewarding and financially secure.

An attractive man, Phil had piercing blue eyes, a prominent nose, high cheekbones, and full, pink lips. His pale skin was contrasted by jet black hair that he wore longer and edgier than most.

He was tall and thin, paying little mind to his physical fitness or diet. He ate what he pleased, and occasionally indulged in a bottle of wine.

He stood and stretched his long limbs. Sunlight poured in through the tall, greenhouse-style windows of the balcony. Phil's bicycle leaned up against the glass.

He didn't leave the apartment often these days. He was mostly content to read and create at home. He sent for his groceries, shopped online, and had no desire to go to the pubs. He despised nightclubs.

He tried online dating once, though the women were disappointing, and the men were not interested in anything beyond the bedroom. Phil was looking for more; he wanted a companion who could keep up with him intellectually and maintain his interest.

It was approximately ten hours later that Phil received the first replies to his ad for male models.
Although he found the female body attractive enough, he didn't believe it could compare to the beauty of the male. He preferred a particular look, though he wasn't about to specify. It wasn't easy finding a model who stayed true to his word anyway. Beggars could not be choosers; this he knew.

The first two replies were typical. Both asked about his sexuality straight away. Either they were looking for something more or they were unwilling to pose nude for a man who preferred other men.

Phil opened the third reply. Right away, Phil liked what he saw:

Hello there,
My name is Dan. I am a 19-year-old law student at university. I am six months in and wishing I had gone with performing arts. Posing for your work may be the closest I ever get to performing.

I am available evenings after 6:00 pm., and I have my own transportation.

I'm 6'1," too thin for my own good, and I have brown hair and eyes if it matters. I don't know what you are looking for.