Kabanata 4

Kabanata 4: Arrival

The salty breeze. The sound of waves crashing on shoreline. The bright moon and scattered stars above the dark sky. The sea was undeniably breath-taking and magical at night.

"Is this your first time to see a view like this?" I asked Irene who was sitting beside me.

She rummaged her hand on the smooth white sand where we were sitting as if the answer was buried down there. I was all eyes on her.

This is our third escape. We just walked around the subdivision on our second escape. That's her request. We talked about random things. And tonight, I decided to take her here.

"No... My parents used to bring me in a place like this," she answered with her eyes glued on the sand she cupped on her hand.

Nakasuot lang ako ng shorts at kulay puting tshirt ngunit ramdam ko ang lamig. Siya naman ay naka kulay asul na panlamig.

"What kind of parets are yours?" I asked that made her laughed.

She looked at me with disbelief written on her face. Bahagyang tinatangay ng hangin ang kanyang buhok na tumatakip sa ilang bahagi ng kanyang mukha.

"The usual type of parents..." She smiled. "Strict. But I know... It was for my own sake. I understand. Well."

I divert my gaze at the dark sea underneath the starry sky then dropped it on the sand infront of me. I asked something that made her sad. But... I was just curious.

"They didn't give you a normal life?"

I continued my questions.

"They did. But when I almost die due to asthma attack... They were sick worried to the extent they almost pulled me out of my school. They even tried to stop my study."

I stick my eyes on the sand but my attention was all on her.

"If I were them, I would do the same," I mumbled.

Naramdaman kong tumayo siya kaya napatingin ako sa kanya. Pinagpagan niya ang kanyang sarili at inalis ang mga butil ng buhangin na kumapit sa kanya.

"Let's have a walk?" She asked.

I nodded. Tumayo ako at sinamahan siyang maglakad sa gilid ng dalampasigan. She was just quiet and so I didn't bother to break it.

"You will get married soon..." She uttered out of nowhere. She remained her eyes on the sand as we walked. "Mauunahan mo pa ako." Tumawa siya.

I put my hands inside the pocket of my shorts. Unlike her, my eyes were on the dark sky above. I am starting to love this view.

"I am thrilled to hear the 'I do' from your deep voice, Jude..."

"Wala bang ibang lalaki ang dumating sa buhay mo?" wala sa sariling tanong ko.

Natigilan siya sa paglalakad kaya tumigil din ako. Nagtugma ang mga tingin namin. Nakaawang ang bibig niya na parang masyadong nabigla sa tanong ko.

That question has been bothering me. Nagtapos siya ng kolehiyo at imposibleng walang lalaki ang naging parte no'n. It could be a friend... Maybe a crush... Love... Or one of those three.

"Are you referring to my first boyfriend?" That answer from her made my brows arched.

First means there is more. There is more than one guy who became a part of her life. That made me a bit happy knowing she still had that kind of life back then.

"First boyfriend?"

"Riu! He was my first love..."

I knew it! Meron pang sumunod kay Riu.