Volume 1 Chapter 5

Compared to Xi Wei's hoarse voice, this one rang out sweet and shy. It must be the voice of a younger sister1, but she actually should not appear at this time and place.

Zeno and Xi Wei were motionless, but quickly snapped out of it and turned towards the source of the sound.

Because the previous events within the cabin had left it at sixes and sevens2, all of Xi Wei's meagre possessions were scattered about. In the middle of the cabin, one of the broken porcelain bowls was upside down, and standing on top of this bowl was a delicate little person.

She has long green hair, a perfect melon seed face3, slightly pointed ears, and is wearing a lovely green mid-length dress. Fluttering gently on her back is a pair of transparent wings that are just allowing her tiptoes to rest on the bowl. Her entire person emanates a gentle green lustre.
Zeno is completely shocked; this, my friends, is an elf!

After the initial shock, Zeno soon remembers the identity of this cute sister. She is the most popular female character in <Curse>, the Queen of the Elves-Hua Li.

Knowing in his head is one thing, but seeing the real-life version of the thumb sized girl feels really magical. Her small cute stature is so lovely; everyone who sees her can't help but want to protect her.

Well, not quite everyone-Xi Wei is not interested in protecting her at all.

After seeing that the words had come from Hua Li, Xi Wei took up the knife once again, clenching it tightly as his body rippled with tension. His stoic face did not reveal the weakness he felt after his painful experience just now.

Blinking, Hua Li catches sight of the rusty knife in Xi Wei's hand, and her shoulders slightly bow, a trace of fear colouring her delicate features.

In general, with only the reflection of the moonlight and snow at night, it is difficult to see others' expressions. Unfortunately for Hua Li, she radiates her own light, and there is no hiding her expressions.

In Zeno's heart, he held some hope for Xi Wei's future love life. Hua li was one of the best harem candidates in <Curse>, and was very highly thought of amongst readers of the novel.

Prior to meeting them, Hua Li had been sealed within the ring. Xi Wei, recognized as the new master of the ring, had accidentally released the Queen of the Elves residing within. Having just been released, Hua Li has lost about 99% of her magic power, her memory is in a state of chaos, she possesses the mentality of a five-year-old child, and she is ignorant, but also quite...meng5.

Zeno was also ignorant!

I was wrong, I just know that Xi Wei has a glittering gold finger, but I forgot <Curse> is such an oppressive text; the spoils of his gold finger were not so easy to obtain. (t/n: should I somehow punctuate to show he is saying this in his head?)

The role this ring plays in the future is great; therefore the cost that must be paid is also great. The first part is recognizing its master, followed by the agony of the ring drilling into bone. Any person would find it hard to bear this pain that radiates down to the very marrow of their bones.

In the novel, Xi Wei did not bond with the ring for another five years. At that time, he is no longer a small beggar, but a promising young man with enough mental and physical strength to tolerate the painful process.

Suddenly thrust into such a difficult situation, it is a miracle that Xi Wei can even speak. Left with almost no energy, Xi Wei remains pale and weak, struggling with every movement.

In this world from <Curse>, Zeno knows that in the original ending Hua Li is among those who betray the protagonist. Looking again at the pocket sized Elf Queen; he contemplates the suitability of his initial 'meng' thought.