Volume 1 Chapter 11

Xiao Wu is not a particularly beautiful or dazzling girl, but her smile radiates sunshine and her personality is straightforward. She is a typical girl next-door, brimming with compassion for the weak, but not in a holier-than-thou way.

She can be said to be humble compared to most of the beauties in the novel, but Zeno thinks that her gentleness will bring a warmth to Xi Wei that the poisonous beauty of the others cannot match.

In order to help the playful Xiao Wu, Zeno plans to act accordingly. Regrettably, he is now too weak; even a small amount of activity leaves him burnt out.

Xiao Wu finds the baby's actions confusing, and helplessly asks Xi Wei, “What happened?”

Xi Wei does not return her gaze. Keeping a respectful position, he replies in a humble tone, “Nothing, the child had a high fever that has gone down for now. Miss does not have to worry.”

His speech is somewhat careless, and it seems that he doesn't care that a high fever can have serious implications at this age. It seems like Xi Wei is saying that if he lives, he lives—if he dies, he dies.

Xiao Wu, who is excited to play with Zeno, and suddenly hears such an irresponsible answer, can't help but berate, “Hey, this is your house's child, even though he has a fever, you didn't give him medicine. You even forgot, you're not worried at all!”

Xi Wei seems frightened by her, retreating back two steps with Zeno tightly clutched to his chest, his thin frame shaking.

Xiao Wu saw that the expressionless boy was fearful of her words, so with thoughts of being like her favourite heroes, she decides she will take Zeno herself.

Who could know that trying to go against the little beggar, who was completely submissive until now, would be like trying to swallow a big pill. Despite pulling until she is red in the face, Xiao Wu could not take the baby away.

Watching his protagonist face off against the girl, Zeno can only put his small face on Xi Wei's chest, desperately rubbing back and forth, his tiny hands clutching the protagonist's collar. He lets his tears fall unreservedly, howling with his mouth with open. Every action expresses his unwillingness to part with the boy.

The commotion resulting from the children's tug-of-war over the screaming baby naturally catches the attention of the samurai warriors left guarding the door. Three samurai warriors rush in, nervously glancing around the living room.

They are momentarily dumbfounded by the situation after quickly assessing things. The guards completely ignore the obvious bullying by Xiao Wu and quickly surround Xi Wei with fierce looks.

Xiao Wu is in a fit of anger, but still remembers her principles. Not wanting to bully the weak, she waves off the samurai warriors before they become violent. Looking at the stubborn baby buried in that cold-blooded guy's chest, desperately crying, she can only grind her teeth in hate.

Zeno struggles for half a day, hoping that Xiao Wu can like them. In the future he wants her to take the 'stepmother' identity alongside the protagonist, but the result was only half successful1.

Because of Xi Wei’s words, Xiao Wu seems to hate him. Zeno cries, there's no use if Xiao Wu likes me but hates the protagonist ah.

He really deserves to be his protagonist—able to draw such a high hate value with only a few words.

After sending out the samurai warriors, Xiao Wu notices that Zeno’s face is abnormally flushed. Despite her anger, she knows that the baby with the cold-blooded little beggar is not evil. Her sense of justice won't allow her to ignore him. She will not stand idly by.