Volume 1 Chapter 21

After three long days, the first winter snow of the year showed no signs of slowing down. By the third day Ye Sa City, which was permeated by such a lifeless atmosphere all year round, began to liven up.

Today was New Year’s Day, and the day that had birthed a new epoch. At the end of the last century, the demon clan1 had wreaked complete havoc across the continent. The first warrior on the mainland, Xia Zuo-You Liya, and his wife, Princess Asil, joined hands to resist the invading forces. Although much of the civilization of the last era was still destroyed by the force majeure, they were able to persevere and usher in a new era of relative peace and stability.

Since then, the third day after the first winter snowfall of each year was designated as New Year’s Day. This day was as important for the people of Hong Yue as New Year’s Day was for the citizens of the Celestial Empire2.

This year was no exception. Watercraft of all kinds criss-crossed the canals in far greater volume than usual, becoming more and more crowded. The business conducted by these vessels was also much better than before. Each face coming was haggard and pinched, while those going were more or less relieved—even happy; an entire year’s worth of built up stress was released on this day.

Despite the outwardly festive atmosphere, a wild and decadent undertone wound its way through the streets.

Zeno was actually quite fearful of this pervasive feeling. Zeno had no desire to be out in this city—it was a decadent and morbid city; like a decrepit building without a foundation, even the slightest jostle would bring it down. The people seemed to understand this truth, and all of the ugliness had been exaggerated and enlarged, set loose and unrestrained.

However, Zeno did not dare to act rashly. Sometimes, it was not a good thing to open God’s perspective3 and try to meddle. Even though he understood that in a matter of three years, Xi Wei would leave this place and start his legendary adventure, as well as his pathway to suffering.

It was just a matter of time until they left.

The pure white, crystal snowflakes continued falling. The build up of snow thus far was already larger than in previous years by New Year’s Day. The depth of the snow was such that it reached all the way to Xi Wei’s calf. They were lucky, because although their shelter was terribly simple, it was not buried beneath the heavy snow. Every day on his way to the Mercenary Guild, Xi Wei would see a new face fall into the snow—never to stand up again.

However, Xi Wei did not have the extra capacity for compassion to give to others. Everyone in this world had to be responsible for his own life. It was sad if someone lacked the ability to go on living, but it could only be fate.

Their own situation was not optimistic either. With the heavy snowstorms over the past days, the Mercenary Guild had far fewer tasks that were appropriate for Xi Wei to complete. Therefore, the young boys often had to go back home early, and go to bed hungry.

Xi Wei clutched Zeno tightly as he hurried down the street. As he turned a corner something grabbed his ankle—when Xi Wei glanced down his leg, he caught sight of an emaciated hand that had caught hold of him. The owner of the hand spoke as if he only had a few breaths remaining, and prayed weakly to Xi Wei, “Give me something to eat, I beg you, give me something to eat.”

Xi Wei showed only a wooden expression.

He pulled his foot back, but he was not able to break the beggar’s hold on his ankle. Given Xi Wei’s high level of physical fitness, if he could not escape this man’s grip, it was clear that this man was not weak like someone who was starving, but much stronger.

Zeno looked up to see that his protagonist’s face had grown cold, and that he was clearly unhappy. It was clear that this person was not like the others they had passed before. Rather than lying in the snow, he was on top of it, and the amount of snow on his body had just barely started to build up. It was not at all like many who had walked long distances in despair, only to starve to death. His time spent outside would not likely exceed five minutes—even Xi Wei and Zeno were covered in more snow than he was.