[5%]

"Well my God! Wooo! Never have I seen such a pretty lady before in my life! May I ask your name, she-bean?"

Frypan right off the bat was the eccentric kind of guy.

He was large, tall dark-skinned boy who had a little scruff growing on his chin. He wore a leather apron bearing multiple different cutting knives, and a thin fabric scarf hung loosely around his neck. I smiled shyly at the scene he made, causing some of the Glader's heads to swivel from their tables.

It was growing close to dinner time according to Chuck, so everyone was wrapping up with their daily chores and was reporting near the edge of the Deadheads where Frypan's kitchen was located. Newt had to leave after our exchange with Minho since Alby needed his opinion on something about a project concerning the builders. So for now, we were on our own.

"Cool it, Fry. Prim's under my watch. Besides you can't even remember your life." I tried to hold back my laugh at Chuck's attempt to keep a cool demeanor. It was sweet of him to stick up for me, even though I didn't really mind Fry's jests.

"Prim oh!" He threw himself back dramatically, causing an unknown giggle to seep through. "What a lovely name for a lovely girl!" To be honest, I think he was doing it just to get a rise out of Chuck. He was being his capricious self Newt had warned me about. The cook retrieved two plates, already set with the meal he prepared. Seasoned cut potatoes, cubed steak and a side of toasted bread.

"Eat up. You're gonna need your strength to survive in a Glade of guys." I smiled, mouthing a quiet thank you. Frypan seemed perplexed by my quiet phase.

"I thought everyone was kidding when they said you were the don't-talk type, but that's okay! We need a gentle hand around here."

"Prim can't talk. We think the creators have something behind it." Chuck explained. Frypan clicked his tongue in disappointment.

"Man, you gotta have no heart to do that. Here," Frypan reached for something in the back of the kitchen, pulling out a chocolate chip cookie from a basket and placing it on my plate. "I only give those to special people, so consider yourself lucky Greenie."

Everyone I was surrounded by was all so kind and understanding. All the anxiety and fear I felt had already wiped away on the first day.

"Oh, actually Chuck. Wanna do me a favor and fetch me some more potatoes from the back?" Rolling his eyes, he groaned.

"Oh come on, I'm hungry! And I need to look after her, Newt's orders!" Frypan gave him a 'look'.

"Prim can wait right there at the front table where I can see her." Chuck seemed hesitant. "I'll give you a cookie." I flinched at the clatter of the plate being thrown back on the table. Chuck began to run full speed to the back of the kitchen building.

"HIS COOKIES ARE GOD!" I busted out laughing as Chuck tried to reason with me from afar. Of course, my laughter was quiet. I couldn't howl with happiness like I've seen many of these boys do today, or giggle fully at the many jokes given to me to attempt to cheer me up.

"Miss Prim you can take a seat over there. I'll keep an eye on ya'."

Agreeing with a cheerful smile, I retreated to the first open table I saw and placed myself down. I looked back to check if I could see Frypan, which I did, but he seemed to be having a dilemma with getting the seasoning of his stew 'just right'. I didn't pay any mind to it and began picking up the small morsels of potatoes.

The Glade at times was beautiful. It depended on the exact position of the sun during the day. As of right now, it was mysteriously beautiful. The sun had begun to slip beneath the walls, the tip of its sphere grazing the top. There were a few birds that twirled in the air, chasing after each other into the Deadheads. But then a mournful thought overcame me. The thought of this could be a beautiful lie, or not even beautiful at all. Something about this place was obviously just not right.