Chapter 5: Memory Lane

Jordan's POV

I stood up when I heard the little bell by the door rang indicating a new costumer. I smiled to welcome the costumer "Good afternoon how can I help-"

"So this is where you work?" Paul said as he confidently entered the store.

"Why? Uh-- How did you know I work here?"

"I could see you from the window." he pointed out. "I get it.That's why you choose to have coffee at the mall. Clever." he said talking to him self.

I almost forgot, I agreed to have coffee with him.

"Wait a minute. I'll just call Micah, to cover my shift."

"Sure, don't make me wait too long" he winked at me.

"Shut up will you. You're so annoying."

A few minutes later I came back along with my things, Paul was standing there staring at a renaissance landscape painting, I guess he's really in to art.

"Hey are you going to stand and stare at that painting all afternoon or were going to have coffee?"

"I'm coming, relax."

The café was only just across the shop. As soon as we entered the café the aroma of freshly-brewed coffee filled my nostrils.

We took the table by the window.

"What do you want?" Paul asked

"Strawberry milkshake and a chocolate chip muffin."

"Coming right up!" He beamed as he walk towards the counter. What's with him, his mood swings are worse than mine. Few minutes later he returned with my milkshake and muffin along with his own coffee.

"So, you work at an antique boutique shop?"

"Yeah." I said as I chew my muffin.

"Your shop has more jewelry than antiques."

"Well our boss is pawnbroker. So did you bothered me just to ask about my work place? If that's it than can I please have my Diary now?"

"No, actually I was just curious. The reason that I "bothered" you if that's what you call it, is because I wanted to ask you about Carl."

"What about him? Is something wrong?"

"No, his just a little odd. I tried to talk to Christine but she just said I'm just adjusting since a lot have changed since I left but still his different."

"Different?"

"Well now that I think of it, he rarely talks to me. We use to talk all the time but since that night, he kept me at bay." What was he about to tell me that night? Is something wrong with Carl?

"That night? What night?"

"He's party-I. um" Then suddenly the memories that I buried kept rushing back all at once.

"Hey are you okay??" he laid his hand, lightly on my shoulder.

Dad! Please. Don't leave me.

I promise-

"Gorge, what's wrong?"

No, please not now. My breaths came in gaps and I feel like I would back out. No not now I can't have a panic attack now. I closed my eyes and recalled how my Doctor thought me

Take deep breaths Jordan. Inhale...Exhale... Inhale ... Exhale... Inhale ... Exhale... it's not working, I can feel my lungs burn once again and my fingers started to shake.

"Hey Gorge are you okay? Do you want me to call 911?"

"No- please don't. I- just need to catch my breath" I said in between my breaths

As soon as I opened my eyes, a tear rolled down through my cheeks, he was looking at me, his eyes showed the kind of gentle concern my grandfather used to have.

"Here use this" he offered me a handkerchief. I took it and wiped off my tear.

"Breath Jordan, calm down." He spoke with such a soft voice I felt his words calming me more and more, soothing me by the way they were being said. It felt as if I were wrapped in a blanket.

"I-I - I'm sorry. It just uh something awful happened that night." I finally managed to say.

"I'm sorry. You don't have to talk about it and I'm sorry for asking." He genuinely apologized as he stared at me. He holds my gaze for what feels like a full minute. There's heat coming from somewhere between us, and I shift awkwardly.

"I'm sorry but it's getting late and I have to go." I tried to stand up but my knees buckled, I'm about to fall but he jerked his hands out of his pockets and reached out. His arms firmly circled around my waist, he pulled me upright with enough force to pull me into his chest. His head is titled straight down and I quickly looked down at my shoes, afraid of what might happen if I looked up. I could feel my heart beating in an irregular rate.
After a few seconds his hands dropped away, and I sensed them shifting back into his pockets.

"I'll take you home. Don't worry I'm riding a motor bike not a car. And I'm not accepting NO for an answer."

I accepted his offer, I'm struggling to stand, since my knees are still pretty weak. I think its safer than to force myself to ride my bike back home.

Soon after, we reached were he parked his motor cycle.

"Here wear this" giving me the spare helmet.

I wrapped my arms on to his waist as the engine ignited. As we swiftly accelerated past the streets the yellow lights became a blur. The wind rushed through my face, I have never felt this tranquil, and I feel so refreshed. I deeply inhaled the air as the hum of the engine filled my ear.

A few minutes later we came into slow stop in front of our house.

"How did you know my address?" I asked as I slowly got off his back.

"It's in the front page of your diary, don't worry I just checked out the front page to know who's the owner of the diary. I swear."

"Okay. I guess I'll just have to believe you."

"By the way, here I promised you this." He handed me my diary.

"Thanks." I answered as I handed out the helmet to him. He walked me though my front door.

"So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" he raised his eyebrows.

"See you at school." I smiled. He walked back to his motor bike as he waved me good bye. I fumbled for the key in my bag, but the door was unlocked, my Aunt must be already home. I walked in and leaned through the door. I sighed. Then Aunt Kezia suddenly appeared beside me I jumped out in surprised "Who was that guy?" she asked eagerly,
"He's deadly gorgeous" she boldly stated "He's just a friend Aunt kezia."

"If you say so!" she winked at me teasingly, "What was that supposed to mean"

"Nothing, Darling. It's not supposed to mean anything" she replied mockingly.

"It's not what you think, Aunt Kezia." I sighed.
"Oh, I believe you." she winked again.
"You just winked again." "No I didn't." she smirked.

"Ugh-you just did it again" I said annoyed.

She laughed "Oh, Gorge. You're blushing."
"No! I'm not! Stop it messing with me Aunt Kezia. I'm going to my room." she continue to laugh to herself as I climbed the stairs.

"By the way Gorge I picked you medicines, I placed it in your desk!" She yelled.