Don't Ever Keep Us Ignorant

The word is... Ignorance.

Every morning her body felt as though it were being pressed deeper  and deeper into her bed. Like a weight was crushing her body and making it next to impossible to get up so that she could start the day. This was why her dark brown eyes stayed closed as she tried to will herself to sleep, but no matter how hard she tried to ignore the ringing cry of her alarm she just couldn't. So her eyes drifted open, pressing the disable button on her clock as she rolled over onto her back and soon she found herself staring blankly at the textured ceiling. She tried to come up with motivation to climb out of bed, but nothing came to mind... There really wasn't a good enough reason for her to be awake so why didn't she just give up then?

"Natalie! Get up! We are going to be late!"

"Alright..."

Natalie sat up, knocking her large baby blue blanket to the floor as she threw her legs over the edge of her bed and hissed when the cold air bit her bare skin. Her body ached and drew attention to her arms, which she stared at remembering the night before and the memories just left a bad taste in her mouth. Crimson pooled and bubbled from the thin cuts and as they got deeper they began producing a more steady flow of warm blood. Her sun kissed skin was littered with old pale scars, new-ish pink scabs, and of course fresh cuts that weren't completely scabbed over, but had mostly stopped bleeding. Natalie began to feel nauseated by her own actions and she forced herself to peel her eyes away from the damaged skin so that she could attempt to ward off any of her dark thoughts. She sat a moment longer and finally stood up making her way to her closet and pulled out a pair of tan cargo pants, a navy blue t-shirt, and a black hoodie that had 'ARMY' printed in bright yellow across the chest.

Broken.

She carefully stripped herself of her pajamas until she was naked. She stood there for a few moments when she caught a glimpse of her slender body. Ribs seemed to poke out from beneath the skin and her waist sank in slightly making her hips appear much more angular than they were. She looked frail.

Useless.

A look of disgust crossed her face and she quickly pulled her clothes on to hide her fragile body and ugly scars from everyone. No one knew just how bad she was getting or far gone she was, but that was what she wanted... At least that's what she kept telling herself.

Alone.

Once she was dressed and satisfied she began to brush through her short auburn hair, ignoring the sting of her arms as best as she could. She was used to the aching by now, but it was still hard to stomach the dread she felt after she marked her skin.

Clueless.

Time seemed to tick by sluggishly, but after applying some concealer to hide the bags under her eyes and shoving her notebooks into her backpack she finally walked down the steps to see her sister drinking a mug of coffee while she waited. Natalie grabbed a bright red apple from the counter and stared at Kylie Tsuyosa for a few short moments before the older girl finally looked up and gave her a shit eating grin.