Chapter 6

Once Dazai was up and ready to leave, Chuuya, successfully this time, called one of the Port Mafia cabs and they got in and headed to the ADA building. Chuuya was, understandably, slightly ill-at-ease about the whole thing while Dazai was his 'new usual' self.

They arrived and took the lift up to the 4th floor, knocking on the door to the office.

Then a couple of things happened.

Atsushi was the one who opened the door. Upon seeing Chuuya he shouted in surprise and unintentionally backed away into the room. Dazai heard the shout and also shouted before hiding behind Chuuya. Kunikida wondered who on earth was at the door, looked up, saw Chuuya, was about to pull his notebook out, then saw Dazai hiding behind him. He sighed and stood up, walking to the door.

"I see you brought Dazai."

"I have, although he doesn't seem to want to come out. Dazai these people aren't going to harm you, you know. There's no need to hide behind me."

Kunikida, along with everyone else, was slightly confused. Dazai's behaviour was odd although it could pass off as a joke of his. Chuuya's behaviour, however, was certainly something they never thought they'd see from him.

Eventually, Chuuya gave up. "I'm sure he'll stop being such a scaredy cat soon and come out but for now, please excuse him."
"I see..." Kunikida still didn't know how to react but stepped to the side. "If you think you'll be staying long...perhaps you should come in...?"

"Thank you," Chuuya walked in, Dazai clinging to him and letting out a small 'squeak' of fear as they went in, realising there was nowhere to hide from everybody in the room, especially now Kunikida, who he found particularly scary, was behind them.

Everybody watched Dazai with interest before Chuuya spoke up.

"Could I have everyone's attention, please?"

Kunikida walked back round to join everyone else standing in front of Chuuya, that made Dazai slightly more comfortable, and everyone looked at him.

"So, as you can see, Dazai is no longer in a coma, however, there has been a complication. Dazai cannot remember anything from before the accident. To add to that, his behaviour has reverted to that of a young child, hence the childish behaviour of hiding behind me and refusing to say hello. As such, he has been put under my care until we can find a way to reverse the effects of the head injury. The documents are in the possession of the hospital and I am, quite literally, his legal guardian. He lives with me in my quarters and either accompanies me on my missions or is left in the temporary care of someone else. Unfortunately for you, that does mean he is in the possession of the Port Mafia, however, he shows no signs of cooperation and we are not using him in any way."

Kunikida nodded, "I see...so he's simply staying with you because you were there at the time he woke up?"

"Well...kind of. He...took a liking to me for some reason and now he won't really listen to anyone else unless I tell him to."

"Almost like he imprinted on you. Like a duck," Ranpo piped in from his corner of the room.

"Like a duck? A duck has more common sense than he does!"

Everybody chuckled, as they knew what Dazai could be like, and Chuuya's statement wasn't entirely false.

"But yes...I suppose it could be put that way, after all, I spent a lot of time in that room. It's possible he recognised me from within the coma. Either way, I'll be glad to be rid of him as soon as possible. He's a real handful." Chuuya paused for a moment. "Speaking of getting rid of him, how would all of you like to take care of him today? He'll revert to his cheerful self soon enough. He's just a coward, that's all.