Bait | John

Warnings: It's just... so cute

Word Count: 585

------

"I won't let you do it, Tommy. No, no way" You heard John speak from the other room, his voice hushed yet tearful.
You made your way over to the door, tiptoeing slightly.
"What are you doing?" Ada said, looking up from her newspaper and tea, her voice a little louder than you wanted it.
"Shhh!" You hushed, pressing your ear against the door to Tommy's office.
"She won't be needed for long, okay. It'll just be long enough for us to get in and get what we need".
Their voices were muffled but you could hear Tommy speak, his voice soft.
"No. Tommy... No" John spoke now, his voice the opposite; hard and rough.
"Would you like any tea?" You pushed the door open, letting it click softly behind you, a look of innocence plastered across your face; as if you hadn't heard the last couple of minutes of their conversation.
Tommy opened his mouth to speak, slightly raising his finger in the air but was abruptly cut short by John.
"Yeah, yeah why don't you go and make us some tea!" His voice was false and his smile was fake.
Now you definitely knew something was wrong.
"What's the matter?" You said, gently touching John's hand, your gaze moving over to Tommy.
"We need you" He said simply, leaning back in his chair.
You looked back to John, your face set in a confused expression.
"Need me? What do you mean, need me?" John sighed and took your hands in his, looking deep into your eyes.
"Tommy..." He shot a glance at his older brother, emphasising his name, "Wants to use you as bait"
"Bait?" Your voice faltered slightly as you took a slight step back. Your face turned from confused to disgust in an instant.
"Bait?" This time you spoke louder, your jaw clenched slightly, making your way over to Tommy.
"Listen" He said softly, looking up at you from his whiskey, "We just need you to... Ocupy someone, that's all" You glanced down, looking at a sheet of paper on Tommy's desk.
"Kimber?" You took the sheet in your hand, staring at a picture of a man with a neat moustache sat on his top lip, "Is this the man?"
Tommy nodded. You considered his request for a moment, as if the appearance of the man would sway your decision.
You sighed.
"I'll do it..." You said quietly, hoping John hadn't heard you; hoping you could keep him out of this all together.
But he had heard you.
"No no no" He said marching over to you, pulling the sheet from your hand and slamming it on Tommy's desk.
"John..." You tried to comfort him, to calm him down, but your words didn't have an effect.
He took your face in his hands, his breathing heavy, eyes wide and tearful.
"I can't lose you. I can't lose y--"
"Shh shh" You hushed him, pulling him into your body, trying to stop his quiet sobs.
"John..." Tommy stood up, walking round his desk and placing a comforting hand on his brother's back.
"She'll be safe" He said, assuring John of your safety as if you weren't in the room with them.
John brought his head up, looking into Tommy's hopeful eyes, then down into yours.
"Are you sure?" He uttered, his voice breaking.
You nodded, licking your bottom lip, "I'm sure".
John began to nod with you, pressing his forehead against yours, your noses barely touching, lips mere centimeters apart.
"I'm sure"