Sleepless Nights | Tommy

Word count: 432

Warnings: None :)

---

The recent nights had been long, time melting away into a screaming, baby-bouncing filled chasm in your mind. Each night for the past month, you had awoken at three, traipsing into the nursery beside your room out of muscle memory, leaning down to pick up your new-born and rocking her gently back and forth until her breathless sobs ceased.
You'd do anything for a night off. To join Ada and Polly at The Garrison, leaving your house at twelve o'clock sharp and not arrive home until the sun rose. Or even a night in with Tommy; maybe Arthur and Linda could take the baby...
No. Instead, yourself and Tommy would take turns waiting on your daughters hand and foot, bouncing her gently when she cried and pacing the room to rock her back into her slumber.
You were exhausted.
However, one night, at exactly three o'clock, you swung your legs out beside you and - as though you were sleepwalking - felt your feet carry you into the room adjacent to the one yourself and Tommy inhabited - the room which had recently been decorated a pastel pink with yellow trimmings.
Upon entering the hallway, you saw the door to the room fit for a princess ajar, the light of the hall carrying into the darkened triangle visible from your position. You hadn't noticed if Tommy had lay beside you when you awoke from your slumber, you couldn't even recall if you'd heard your daughter cry; the sleep deprivation you experienced clouded your mind and dreams mixed with reality, while the time seemingly swam away.
However, your feet carried you once more, and as you pushed the door to the nursery ever so slightly, you saw the softened silhouette of Tommy, bouncing up and down gently, a bundle of pink wrapped tight in his arms. As far as you could tell, he hadn't seen you, hadn't noticed the slither of light on the wall grow, the creak of your footsteps on the the carpeted floorboards.
And so, you watched, for how long you didn't know. It was a tender sight, one you could gaze at for eternity: Tommy's chest illuminated from the soft glow of the hallway, your daughter's hand placed neatly against his shoulder, eyes staring up at her father in wonderous awe. Tears prickled against your eyes,  whether it was from the intimate sight or the mere two hours of sleep you posessed you couldn't be sure. Nonetheless, you crept back to your own room, resting your head against your pillow, leaving your husband to rock your daughter back to sleep.