runaway, rebel

tord was anxious, sweating nervously as him and tom rushed to the testing room. to tord, this was like walking through the gates of heaven. he would be free. possibly. he also could be falling into the gates of hell.

at this point, he would take anything.

tom took him to a room, with big white doors that opened at the sight of the two. tord was in awe, but had no time to question it. questions are for later.

the room was air conditioned far too much, to the point where tords skins stuck up like tiny mountains. tom wasted no time, went immediately from the entrance of this room to the exit in the corner. tord followed him curiously.

tom swung the door open, the bright summer sun blinding tord. it seemed like forever since he had last seen nature. what was it? two days?

tom stopped before tord, letting the door shut behind the two.

behind this building was a variety of vehicles, some of which tord had never seen. tom took him to one that was set on a pad that had a big 'H' written in white in the center. the mobile was odd. four thin planks stuck out from a short bar on the top, the same contraption on some sort of tail. the second one was smaller and pointed toward the ground (like a fan.) there was a sort of rectangular, if tord had to assign a shape to it, like piece that the tail was connected to. the inside was accessible a big window that did nit have a pane. however this machine worked, it didnt seem safe.

tom told tord this was a helicopter.

tom climbed into the seat which had all sorts of buttons, levers and steering wheels pointed in its direction. tord took the seat next to him.

tom scanned all of the button in panic. he mumbled things to himself as he switched and pressed different buttons and levers, causing a loud chopping sound to come from the machine. tord stuck his head out and saw that the fan on top of the helicopter was spinning, but then tom told him to stay inside the vehicle.

"so do you know how to work this thing?" tord asked, watching tom push a lever foward, making the helicopter jolt foward, scaring the living hell out of tord. tom acted totally monotone through the process.

"well ive done it before. like once." he responded, focusing on that one lever, "if we crash, youll be fine. you can just fly away."

"but what about you?"

"i will die."

"dont crash."

then the helicopter was up in the air. and only then did tord notice the angry mob of scientists running at them. they were close, but tord had no fear. hopefully they would be high up by then.

and they were. they had reached an constantly increasing elevation of 40 feet by the time the group was below them.

tom began to laugh in disbelief.

"were free!" he cheered, as the helicopter began to move foward, high above the building.

we?

was tom being held back from something..?

no time for questions.

//

"okay, okay, okay," tom repeated to himself as he tried to land the helicopter safely in an empty field in the middle of no where. he was hyperventilating even though they were maybe two metres off the ground.

it took him maybe 5 whole minutes to complete the task. tord coukd have just jumped out the door.

now they were making their way through the meadow and into the forest. no conversation was passed through this process, until they were free of knee high grass and dead flowers.

"my house is just over here." tom noted, motioning to beyond the trees. tord could see the colours, striped by the trees.

"meet you there, then." tord said, taking a running start, jumping in the air as his wings retracted, but tom yelled "wait!"

tord turned around.

"can you take me with you?" tom asked.