Four

You spent a good while in the bath, enjoying the warm, rose smelling water. It was nice to not have to worry about a water bill or dirty water, but you sorely wished for a book to read while you relaxed. Without one in your hands, you felt lost and slightly bored. With only your past story recollections to keep you company as you soaked, it was harder to stay still for more than a few minutes.

So instead, since your eyes felt heavy, you decided to close them for a few seconds. Just as you began to doze, there was a knock at the bedroom door, causing your eyes to snap open. On instinct you sank lower into the water, using the roses to help cover your figure.

"Lady! We brought you your food!" A small voice piped up from outside the door. You heard soft footsteps approach the bedroom door, which you assumed were the oldest maid's, and heard the door open. Then three girly voices chattered for a moment before the youngest walked into the bathroom with a small tray of what looked like an assortment of pastries.

"Oh you are amazing!" You exclaimed, happily sitting up a little in the bath. The young girl beamed at the complement, bowing slightly as she thanked you. She left the room as soon as you began to eat hungrily.

The honey roll was heavenly and thick, the cinnamon roll smooth and sweet. The chocolate filled pastry was tasted rich and dark and the small cookie like pastry was light and fluffy.

After you had your fill, the middle maid came in to take it away, you feeling bad that there was quite a few pastries left. Since you didn't want them to go to waste you called her and the other two maids in.

"Since I was unable to eat all of these pastries, please feel free to eat them. Please don't waste them. You really must try them!" They looked at you as if you were an angel from heaven.

"Really my lady? May we?" Asked the small one, her eyes filled with hope and excitement. The other two also held the same look in their eyes, but the oldest tried her best to hide it.

"Of course! Please!" You pleaded, gesturing to the tempting food. The three couldn't hold back any longer and all grabbed for the pastries.

"Thank you!" They said, stuffing their mouths full. You smiled, your heart swelling as you saw the joy on their faces.

The pastries were gone in about a minute, their faces beaming with joy.

"My lady, you are the best!" The youngest remarked, her mouth still filled with the honey pastry. The others nodded with her, and you smiled happily.

"If there is anything I don't finish that you want, please eat it. I don't mind, and I want you to eat well."

"Thank you. We will do all we can to make you comfortable here Lady." The oldest said, her smile way more genuine than it had been earlier. She reached for a towel to help you out of the tub, shooing the other girls out of the bathroom to give you your privacy.

Once dry, you wrapped the fluffy towel around you and walked out to try and find your closet. You walked to a door and opened it expecting to find a small closet with one or two dresses, but apparently while you had been in the bath, the Kings had sent you dresses and it filled an entire walk-in-closet. How they knew your size you were unsure, but you remembered you are in a book so you guessed anything was possible.

"Lady, would you like us to dress you and do your make-up? The Kings sent for you, so you must be presentable." The middle girl said, approaching you slowly.

"I-... that would be lovely." You said, the picture of all those dresses still in your mind as you turned to the three girls. The middle one again approached you "But... before we go on I must know your names."

The three looked shocked once again, making you wonder what kind of place this was that people didn't even care to ask their maids' names. It made you annoyed that these girls were people too, but weren't treated with the respect they should. Without them, you were sure the palace would fall apart, no matter how smart or handsome the kings were.

"Well," the oldest began, looking down slightly as if she were ashamed, "I actually never had an official given a name. I was sent here as a baby and everyone has called me Babs since."

"Oh, I'm sorry..." You began, unsure really of what to say. But an idea came a second later. "Well, since we're here, you can pick anything that you want me to call you." You said with a smile. She looked up, her eyes sparkling.

"Really?" She asked, the idea apparently very pleasing to her.

You nodded to her, happy to call her whatever she came up with.

She sat in thought for a moment longer before snapping her fingers and looking brightly at me.

"I want to be called Genny." She said, giving herself a small hug while the other girls looked at her and nodded their heads in approval, liking the name just as much.

"I like it, Genny. It suits you." I said, giving her a thumbs up. She looked at me confused, probably having never seen someone do a thumbs up before.

'There is a lot of things I do in my world these people have probably never seen before.' You thought, internally chuckling.

Genny shrugged it off when the youngest stepped towards you with a happy grin.

"My name is Hannah and I'm 11." She proudly stated, standing to her full height and looking right at you. You giggled at her cute action and patted her small head.

"It's nice to meet you Hannah." You said giving a small curtsy, you becoming aware of your towel prohibiting you from moving much. Before you could become too embarrassed the girls' eyes widened.

"No my lady! Don't curtsy to us! You are a lady!" The middle girl and Genny exclaimed. You looked up at them and frowned.

"Oh, but I am not more important than you!"

"Still you are higher in rank then us, my lady, so please, if you must, don't bow in public." Genny said pleading with her eyes. You sighed and shook your head.

"Here, in my chambers, you are as much of a lady as I am, and... maybe sometime I'll let you try on some of my many dresses I seem to have." You said, dropping your voice into a playful whisper. All three girls' eyes widened once again at your words before breaking into a smiles. Seeing these three girls become so happy, and figuring that they probably had never had someone be so kind to them, you hoped you could continue to give them happiness as long as you were in this story.

________________________________________________________________________________

So... this was a piece of crap, but I needed to update for you despite being busy. Thank you again for sticking with this story, and I hope I am doing semi-okay with it!

Hope you enjoyed!

Aluna💙