Valentine

February 14, 2014

It was Valentine's Day, and four members of the Shane Gang were trying their best no to be distracted as they chased some of Blakk's workers out of a town out in Land's End.

As the gang rode out of the town, Alana and Trixie fell back a little bit, bringing up the rear of the group.

"Are you doing anything else today?" Alana asked with a sly smile.

"Like what?" Trixie responded, her voice dripping in false innocence.

"You know," Alana laughed. "It Valentine's Day, got anything planned?"

Trixie snorted and rolled her eyes.

"No way," she said.

"Aw, why not?" Alana pouted. "Too much of a chicken to ask him to go somewhere with you?"

Trixie's cheeks turned pink as she shrugged, glancing up at the front of the group where Eli rode on Lucky.

"I don't see you asking anyone," she responded. Alana's smirk faltered. She hadn't been expecting Trixie to so rapidly turn the tables, but she quickly recovered.

"Wanna see me do it?" she challenged.

"Bet."

"Fine."

Trixie watched, appalled, as Alana sped forward on Midnight, riding up to where Leo rode alongside his brother at the front of the group. He and Eli were having a conversation of their own, but the two Shanes fell silent as soon as they saw Alana approach.

"Hey, Leo," Alana said, forcing herself to keep talking so she wouldn't back out. "I don't think any of Blakk's workers are gonna try anything else today after the beating we just gave them, and I don't have anything else planned for today, so do you want to take a ride together? I've been wanting to visit this grove in the Jungle Cavern."

Leo's azure eyes widened, and he glanced at Eli, looking a little startled. Then he recovered and managed a nod.

"Yeah, sure," he said.

"Awesome," Alana responded, giving him a thumbs-up and falling back so she was once again riding even with Trixie. She smirked at the shocked look on the redhead's face.

"I am impressed," Trixie admitted. "But were you actually already planning on going out to the Jungle Cavern?"

Alana sighed and shrugged.

"No, I was gonna take a nap. But," she said, glancing up at Leo, "I think it'll be worth it."

~~~~~~~~

"So, where exactly are we going?" Leo asked Alana.

The two rode side-by-side on their Mechas, traveling through the Jungle Cavern. The Lumino ore in the ceiling and on the ground was beginning to dim, and the bioluminescent mushrooms were starting to shine.

"I found this grove a little while back," Alana explained. "It's really beautiful all the time, but I think it's best at night. And I don't think you can have a true appreciation of Slugterra's flora until you see it."

Leo slowed down his griffin Mecha as Alana began to slow down Midnight.

Ahead of the two slingers flowed a river, lit up by the occasional Lumino ore beneath the water. Slick gray stones lined banks, small puddles gathered up in dips and crevices. Alana stopped Midnight and got down, turning to Leo, who was looking around hesitantly.

"This doesn't exactly look like a grove to me," he said as he dismounted his griffin. Alana smiled and put her hands on her hips.

"Are you accusing me of lying?" she asked, pretended to be offended. "How dare you?"