First Quiet Night

Just a super duper quick Leolana one I threw together for you, Ally ;) happy birthday, kiddo

~~~~~~~~

The fight with Doctor Blakk was over.

All of Slugterra could feel it. Happy voices filled the streets. Confetti littered sidewalks. Any remaining wanted posters of the Defenders of the 99 Caverns either filled trash bins or fueled bonfires. There was still a lot to do- there always would be. Ghouls still ran wild around the caverns, and not all of Blakk's henchmen had been caught. But it was impossible not to feel joyous and relieved.

The days directly following the fight at the terraportal were filled with time spent in the hospital for the several Defenders injured in the fight, and then even for those who were injured, seemingly endless press releases and interviews and celebrations. The fight was over, but the saviors of Slugterra hadn't exactly gotten solid rest in.

Until tonight.

Leo had triple-checked with Eli- the night was indeed clear. No press conferences. No celebratory parties. No talking about the next steps to cure the remaining ghouls. Everyone was seizing the opportunity to relax and truly take a breather after the pure chaos that had seemed to last for years.

Now, Leo was sitting on the couch in the living room of the hideout. He wore an azure dress shirt, a white tie, and black dress pants. He'd tried to make his hair look a little more fancy, but he gave up when the chocolate brown spikes refused to cooperate. In all honesty, Alana wouldn't care.

Alana. The thought of her made Leo's chest warm up, like the sound of her name lit a fire in him.

He knew how conflicted she'd felt in the days following Blakk's fall. She was thrilled to be victorious, and proud of herself for coming through with the terraportal. But Leo knew the fight she had with Dana bothered her, and that combined with a concussion and dislocated elbow meant that Alana's press conferences and parties had been spent in mild discomfort. Sam and the Boon Docs had really come through, though, so Alana was doing better than the average person would have been.

Not that she was ever anything close to average, Leo thought, a faint smile on his face.

And speaking of...

Leo turned when he heard footsteps behind him. His smile grew and he got to his feet as Alana walked down the staircase.

Her hair was down, framing her face and flowing behind her in a blanket of caramel and cyan. She wore an off-shoulder dress falling just above her knees, the same deep blue as Leo's eyes (and his own dress shirt) with a light blue ribbon around her waist, that same color as the blue in her hair and eyes. Very simple, but anything looked stunning on her.

"You're sure you're okay to go out?" Leo asked for the fifth time that night as she reached the bottom of the staircase. Alana smiled and reached up to the back of her head, her fingers brushing her hair.

"I'm sure. It doesn't even hurt anymore," she assured. "There's just a bump. But I'm still not feeling up for a lot of motion. Or bright lights."

"None of which we'll deal with tonight," Leo promised. "Just a nice dinner to unwind after all the craziness. And it's an easy Mecha ride."

He held out a hand. Alana nodded and took it, and Leo's heart fluttered. When they touched, it was like electricity flowed between them. Alana always felt warm, in a pleasant way. Not searing hot, like the sun could be, but the kind of warmth that soothed muscles and chased away winter chills.

"I know we've each gotten asked this a million times already, but how does it feel? Now that it's over with Blakk?" Alana asked as the two left the hideout, pausing to enjoy the view of Wild Spores' Lumino crystals beginning to dim.